Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question re: Batiks >

Question re: Batiks

Question re: Batiks

Old 04-02-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I disagree with this and think it is unnecessarily alarming to novice quilters. The advice to use lower thread count batiks is bad advice. With batiks, the dyes need a higher thread count to be able to handle the resist and the multiple washings in the batik making process. The designs are sharper and the colors are brighter with higher thread count greige goods as well.

Almost all batiks are a higher thread count than prints or solids and there's really no need to match thread counts within any quilt. It's no different than mixing flannel and quilting cotton. Problems are NOT sure to happen with batiks, especially if you use a microtex (aka sharp) needle.

I often mix batiks (thread count up to 200) with Kona solids (thread count of 60) and/or good quilting cottons (thread count of 68-75) and have never had a complaint from my Bernina or my longarmer. If the longarmer claims her machine "hates" the mix, perhaps you should find someone else to do your quilting. Sounds to me like she's just making excuses for not knowing how to adapt her machine to different quilting conditions.
Ghostrider I think I was misunderstood here, I wasn't talking about cheap fake low color batiks with loose low thread count. The type of Batik I was saying is the Batik that has the heavy weight, thickness of blue jean such as Wanglers type, the good quality jean fabric that wears and wears, holds up for years and years, is very thick high thread count.

I wouldn't
Old 04-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

I am working on one right now, and I see no difference in quilting the batik fabrics as opposed to the others.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 PM

Since we are on the subject of batiks, can I ask if batiks have a 'color run' problem? I know there are some of you quilters that prewash fabrics and some prefer not, but I don't want a problem with bleeding after completing the quilt and ready for laundering. I am planning an applique angel quilt with ALL batiks, but there are some that are lighter shades and many are medium dark and dark. Thanks to the great members of this board. YOU are the best.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 PM

I just asked my long arm quilter about having any problems with batiks. I had heard it broke needles like crazy. She said she'd never had a problem with them breaking a needle.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by sharin'Sharon View Post
Since we are on the subject of batiks, can I ask if batiks have a 'color run' problem? I know there are some of you quilters that prewash fabrics and some prefer not, but I don't want a problem with bleeding after completing the quilt and ready for laundering. I am planning an applique angel quilt with ALL batiks, but there are some that are lighter shades and many are medium dark and dark. Thanks to the great members of this board. YOU are the best.
I haven't had a big problem with them bleeding, but.....BEWARE OF HAND-DYED FABRICS! I bought a queen-size backing (blue) that was hand-dyed. Washed it 5 times with dye catchers. The dye catchers were the same color as the backing each time, so I tried Retayne. It seemed to work, but you have to be careful how you wash it from then on. This was a wedding quilt with a lot of white, so I decided to buy another backing. Storm at Sea is on my list of quilts to make, so I guess I can use it on that or another mostly blue quilt!