Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question re Corner Triangles made from Squares >

Question re Corner Triangles made from Squares

Question re Corner Triangles made from Squares

Old 05-28-2011, 08:14 PM

I leave mine in - just press well with starch.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
On those snowball blocks and others where we use a square and sew on the diagonal and trim the block. Couldn't we use a square that's a quarter inch larger and mark a line 1/4" either side of the diagonal with one of those little rulers that allow you to do that. When you cut off along your line, couldn't you use the other half for the opposite side of the block. Or would it be too much work? Of course you'd have to sew the other half on the bias. It just seems like so much waste.
Why make work? Use the square you need, sew on diagonal and then trim excess----------don't make it hard!
Old 05-29-2011, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

i don't bother changing the size of the squares called for when making corners--but i do stitch on the line as directed then turn the block and restitch 1/4" outside the original line- then i cut the corner off- and have a pre-made 1/2 square triangle for a future project. ... i have quite a bag of these little corners :)
Old 05-29-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i don't bother changing the size of the squares called for when making corners--but i do stitch on the line as directed then turn the block and restitch 1/4" outside the original line- then i cut the corner off- and have a pre-made 1/2 square triangle for a future project. ... i have quite a bag of these little corners :)
Hi - what a great idea. I'm trying to envision this though. When you sew the seam to attach the small square to the large square, if you sew 1/4" from the first stitching and then separate them, is your seam allowance on both the original square and now the little HST now 1/8"?

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Waste? I make small half square triangles from the cut offs. You can use them in the current quilt or another project. I sew the first seam, then sew the extra seam about 1/2" away, then cut between the seams. You have your block plus a bonus hst.
That sounds like a much smarter way to do it. I guess you just stitch half an inch away from the first stitching line and cut where you normally would. It took me a while to get it pictured in my head. I love it! No waste, no having to stitch on the bias, perfect, thank you. My budget is such that I can't be throwing away fabric.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:17 AM

I do the same thing!!!! My second quilt ever was a snowball and the person that taught me showed me the same thing! Great idea!

Waste? I make small half square triangles from the cut offs. You can use them in the current quilt or another project. I sew the first seam, then sew the extra seam about 1/2" away, then cut between the seams. You have your block plus a bonus hst.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 AM

IU try to make time to iron the secondary triangle square so the color combo is easeir to see when going thru my leftovers.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks GrannieAnnie, I plan on having an ironing pad beside my sewing machine so that shouldn't be problem.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I do this quite often, but today I had 1" squares and those little waste pieces went in the trash. That is just too small for me to worry about.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:24 PM

I do exactly the same thing. I put them all in a drawer and have a great selection of HST.