Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question re Singer model 301

Blog Entries
    Can anyone tell me where to find the serial # on the 301 sewing machine? Just picked one up at a yard sale for $10, is that a good price?

Blog Entries
    Yes that's a fantastic price. Don't know where to find the number though..

no serials on it

"Singer did not keep records of actual serial number dates of manufacture for the 301 and 301A as they did with early Singer models. They only used a batch of Serial Numbers, NA-1951, NB-1956, NC-1961. What this means is we must gather our own information to come up with a serial number year of issue. With data I collected over the years from owners of the Singer 301, 301A, 401A, 403A, 500A and 503A I was able to create a year of issue of when our 301 and 301A was issued or manufactured."

got thisinformation from the attached link:

http://singer301.com/dating/default.html

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Wow, what a deal!!! I paid a lot more for mine :D

Here's a good website for you

http://singer301.com/dating/default.html

It's a great machine!!! :thumbup:

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Haha Barb, you beat me to it~!! :D

on that link...if you scroll down, there is a picture that shows you where to look for information to date it.

Sorry I can't help you with dating your 301 but, you paid a teriffic price for it. :thumbup: :)

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Haha Barb, you beat me to it~!! :D
    I ate my Wheaties this morning!

Blog Entries
    The # is on the bottom of my machine about under the needle area. Turn the machine upside down. You'll love your little machine.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 301's and they do have a number on the bottom of the machine...I think they all have 2 letters and 6 digits too...on the same side as the extension bed..right underneath where the fold is..

$10 is a fantastic price..never pass one of these machines up ..just the bobbin case and the needle plate are worth maybe up to $100 because they fit on a 221 machine...and sometimes the foot pedal too...not the attachments though

Yup under fold down bed...

I'm green with envy!!!! :mrgreen: but congratulations! Model 301 is worth more than 301-A

why??
    Other than the added A, I thought they are the same machine, no changes made?

Quote Originally Posted by SUZAG
    I'm green with envy!!!! :mrgreen: but congratulations! Model 301 is worth more than 301-A

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    The # is on the bottom of my machine about under the needle area. Turn the machine upside down. You'll love your little machine.
    Yes, there is a specific serial number under the bobbin end of the machine, stamped on the frame. It's there. I don't know why anyone would think there is no serial number for any Singer machine. They ALL have serial numbers. You can find out the year it was made, but not the specific month the serial number was allocated. They didn't keep that information after 1950.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    why??
    Other than the added A, I thought they are the same machine, no changes made?

Quote Originally Posted by SUZAG
    There is no reason for the 301a to be any more valuable then the 301 or vice versa. All it indicates is where it was made. Where do people get these ideas? :?

All the 'A' means is the machine was made at the Anderson, SC plant. It has no affect on the pricing of the machine nor does it indicate a sense of rarity. Anderson, SC pumped out as many machines as any other Singer plant in the U.S.

While we are talking about funny notions - Singer never made machines to be badged for other companies like Sears or Montgomery Ward. If you bought a Singer, you knew you bought a Singer.

Congratulations on getting your 301! They are fantastic little machines. Your serial number is located on the join of the bed at the hinged section.

If you tell us you got a black 301 for 10 dollars I believe more than one of us will cry.

I got a black 1951 301 at a school tag sale for $30.00...Of course I had to buy a bobbin case for it and have it rewired but she was well worth it...

I am not only green, but drowning in tears. Oh, my, what a find. Did you by a Lotto ticket after that purchase? Probably should have as it clearly was your "Lucky Day".

Blog Entries
    Will do a Happy Dance for you....great price

What a coincidence! I found a black 301 at a garage sale YESTERDAY for $10. It was sold by the lady who said she had learned to sew on it. I haven't tried it out yet, but it appears to be complete - bobbin case, a few slant attachments, carrying case, and wiring that is intact.
    My friend tells me that I will like it even better than my Featherweight for piecing.
    This sewing machine addiction is so much fun!
    Dayle

If you have questions re: 301's; go to the vintage sewing thread and look for Charlie. I do believe she has a 301 and seems to be very knowledgeable.

Blog Entries
    I bought a mocha 301 on E-Bay for $56 and considered myself very fortunate. She is in pristine condition without a scratch on her...the seller did a great job on packing. It doesn't look as though it was ever used. I sent her a thank you after unpacking and told her I was surprised that it didn't go a lot higher. When she replied she said that she was very disappointed at the final price too but that other machines she had sold made up for it. At least she has a very good home with me!! I can honestly say that I prefer this 301 over my Featherweight for piecing. My only regret is that it isn't a long bed...but I'm still looking.

great price! What color is it? Please post a pic when you get a chance!

The serial numbers are on the bottom. These are great machines, light enough to be portable and strong enough tohandle the heavy stuff, AND the feed dogs drop, so yu know what that means, F M Q!!!!!:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast