Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question regarding disappearing 4 and 9 patch.  Help Please >

Question regarding disappearing 4 and 9 patch. Help Please

Question regarding disappearing 4 and 9 patch. Help Please

Old 10-10-2013, 07:13 AM

Default Question regarding disappearing 4 and 9 patch. Help Please

I have not tried the disappearing 4 and nine patches and my question is how do you place your colors. Do you go all scrappy, or what. I want to use fall leaf fabrics, one is all leaves, one is leaves plus other designs, one is a grayish green solid that goes with both of the other fabrics. Should I use 5 of the solid? or what.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

You can make however it pleases you. I haven't done one scrappy but, if you want to you can. Your quilt your choice.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

You could probably google and get lots if different pictures to help you decide
Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I like to leave my prettiest or focus fabric whole. I make sure to place it in the 4 corners and center position with the fabrics that will be cut in between for the D9P. On the D4P, I like a strong contrast between the fabrics so that a clear pattern emerges. You might want to go to the QB photo gallery and look at a few to see what arrangements you like best.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 AM

I've made several D9P ... all scrappy, more or less. The one I'm working on now, I've put I Spy blocks on the outer four corners with a solid blue in the center. The other four blocks are dots, various colors. I've done it this way so that I can preserve the I Spy blocks and the other blocks are cut. So in a sense, I've made a scrappy quilt with a pattern. My ideas for pondering.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 AM

When I've done the d9p I've put the largest prints in the 4 corners, the ones that will look good as the bars in the side positions and the accent ones that will look good cut in 4 pieces in the centers. So it is a planned scrappy.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 AM

The d4p I've done closer to a true scrappy, but still paying attention to light and dark for a certain degree of contrast.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:03 PM

You can do your quilt any way you want. The D9P I made had the same fabrics in the corners of the 9 patch, the same lighter colors in the 4 side patches, a different dark color in the center of the 9 patch. To get the effect of the D9P, I think you need to at least have the fairly standard dark colors in the corners and center, and lighter colors in the other 4 squares (or the reverse). But each square could be different fabric if you want.

I think the same would be true of the D4P - to have dark colors in the opposite 2 corners and lighter fabrics in the other opposite 2 colors.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:43 PM

I like everything scrappy but the center block, I like that one the same since it comes out to be the smaller squares. I think it adds continuity to the quilt. But then, I also don't mind the same fabric being side by side or perpendicular. So I think it's just personal choice. For me the more fabrics the better.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:30 PM

Look in the QB photo gallery- a sticky in the pictures section. There are a lot of examples of different kinds of D9P's, both scrappy & not. Lots of good ideas.