Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question regarding practice panels >

Question regarding practice panels

Question regarding practice panels

Old 01-08-2010, 12:15 PM

I need to practice my machine quilting and have heard something about practice panels. I have done many searches for them but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

My question is: I would like to practice on a panel that I could use for donating to our local hospital newborns. I am not sure what to look for, something with lines I have to follow or one that has no lines, just looks pieced and I can use my pantos? I would prefer no lines so would any type of pieced panel be okay?

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Donna
Old 01-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

It may be that the reference is to ANY preprinted fabric panel. You could sandwich it with a backing and practice your FMQ using outlines, grids, swirlies, whatever your heart desires. The prints on the panel provide the outline to follow and you don't have to mark the fabric.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:04 PM

Hi, I'm making charity quilts with two different groups. They go to lots of different places too. I practice my free motion quilting on these quilts and it's really helped me out with my quilting and the nice thing is that they are very well bound together and the recipients aren't really going to be critical of a little ripple here or there. Also, the fabric is donated for these projects and it really doesn't cost me anything to make them, just my time. I really enjoy these projects. I have also worked on some blankets for the NIC unit, at our local hospital and they really don't want anything quilted. The blankets are made from flannel or knit fabric which is surged around the edges, like a recieving blanket. Their skin is so delicate that actual quilts are too harsh. Anyway, that's how it is here at our local hospital.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

What a great way to get your practice and do some good too.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:22 PM

I think it may be a preprinted panel.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:00 PM

Preprinted panels are great to practice on -- both by machine and hand.

Go to fabric.com -- search "cotton panels" -- they have several that would be excellent for babies and newborns. And they're reasonably priced. :D
Old 01-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Go to fabric.com -- search "cotton panels" -- they have several that would be excellent for babies and newborns. And they're reasonably priced. :D
Awesome place, saw some great panels I would love to do for my great grandson. Thank you for the link.

I am getting the gist of I can do whatever I feel like doing, and I will check with our hospital to see if they have any preferences/requirements.

Thanks all for the input,
Donna
Old 01-08-2010, 02:55 PM

keepsakequilting.com use to have this kit that is a panel with the markings already on them that also came with a booklet. It had something to do with machine quilting practice and had all different designs on it. Actually there were 2 of them at a cost around $30.US each. I have been thinking about getting that myself, but can not at this time. And I think Clotlides (spelling ?) might have them also.