Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Question Regarding Your Projects in Progress >

A Question Regarding Your Projects in Progress

A Question Regarding Your Projects in Progress

Old 03-12-2019, 11:41 AM

My sewing room is on a climate controlled Sunroom. So, 3 walls of windows. The fabric fades fast if left out. So, I keep all my fabric in enclosed storage. I use a single Ikea chest for most of my fabric and pretty decorative boxes for different sets of fabric on top. I do hang stuff up from time to time to cheer me up. But, I can't leave it up long. I have hung temporarily heavy duty table cloths with command hooks to block some of the light and bonus, they double as design walls. But, long term, I'm thinking eventually I may need some type of window treatments. Or, maybe I will move my sewing room inside someday. We'll see. I like it where it is right now. The Florida sun is a fabric killer. So, I do have to be careful. I'd love to tint the windows someday.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:18 PM

There is a frosty type of stuff that comes on the roll to cover windows. The brightness of the light will still be there but not the sun rays. I have a tree by one window and sheers on the other one. I don't like it really dark in the house.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:11 PM

Good thought! I had a quilt in the window at the store for about 4 weeks and it faded pretty bad.

I filled the East window in my sewing room with house plants. I have the cleanest air in the valley!
Old 03-12-2019, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Hmm. never thought about it. I don't have a big fabric stash and what I have is in drawers but I haven't done anything about projects I am working on. It hasn't seemed to matter. Maybe because they don't stay there for extended periods of time. I have three windows that I have my machine in front of, for good light, and only some parts of the year does the sun shine directly into one of them.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

I have one west facing window. Fabrics are behind closet doors. Thread hangs next to window. Lately not much sun. Winters are fairly gloomy looking. I get a small amount of sun in the window. Projects are spread out further back in the room.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:08 PM

In my sewing room upstairs I have a dormer and only get late afternoon sunlight so have darker curtains on it. Where I long arm I have mini blinds that I adjust to not get direct sunlight--plus try not to leave a quilt on the frame very long.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:28 PM

My stash is stored in clear totes on our 3 season porch. I cover them with blankets to keep the sun from fading the fabric. I sew in the dining room, which is off the 3 season porch separated by patio doors. I get a little sun in the dining room, but have never thought to cover anything in progress.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:59 AM

I have 3 large windows and 2 smaller windows, I have mini blinds on 3 of the windows, but my fabrics are folded in drawers, the tops are folded and not in the sun until I get to them. I don't think that having sun shining on the projects would hurt them, unless it's for an extended period of time.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:03 AM

I honestly never gave it a thought. I have a small second bedroom that I use as my sewing room. It has one north facing window and I have never thought about fading. We in SW Michigan don't get many days of intense sun. We live in clouds because of our big lake to the west. I guess I will now consider covering a quilt in progress if it were to be on my quilt wall for an extended amount of time.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:15 AM

Ironic that you posted this thread yesterday...my DH and I are on a month long road trip and I realized I left a quilt (now in two sections, the top and bottom) on my design wall. I emailed a quilting friend of mine to request that she get my hide a key sometime this week and take the quilt down. My sewing room is full of windows and I love that it is bright and sunny but not for quilts left out to fade. She went to my home yesterday and also covered my new longarm with a sheet. (I feel much better now)