Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question? Thinking about opening a small quilt shop in my community >

Question? Thinking about opening a small quilt shop in my community

Question? Thinking about opening a small quilt shop in my community

Old 01-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

There are just a few LQS near me. One is only open on Wed. and Sat. (I don't know why). I keep going there for the fabric. They have so much that the isles are cramped, but I love it. Other than this I shop mostly online. I don't have to think about their hours, and the package comes to me.

You are getting a lot of wonderful and informative responses. I hope it helps you make a decision.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:18 PM

In Utah, our shop's biggest selling fabric is Shannon Cuddle (minky). We also sell a lot of baby flannel, which not a lot of other quilt shops carry. There's a quilt market survey somewhere online that discusses what people are buying. And the biggest selling fabric by far was batiks. Civil War reproduction fabrics are always a great seller, too. And anything Kim Diehl, Basic Grey, Sandy Gervais. Moda fabrics are always great quality, except for their Bella Solids. Just selling fabrics doesn't make a successful quilt shop. If we didn't sell and service sewing machines, we might not still exist. The store where I work has been in business since 1958. Good Luck with your endeavor!
Old 01-25-2015, 05:01 PM

I know what it is to have a shop in a small town. I opened a craft shop just last Aug. I do not sell quilting supplies or fabric I decided to find a niche that was not avalible before I opened it. I sell hand crafted items made by local people. I rent booths, or sell on consignment. I also teach classes in quilting, sewing, crochet and gourd art or anything we get enough request for and an instructor. So far it has been a success. It give a place for people to sell and buy craft items or gifts daily out waiting for a craft fair. Good luck with your venture.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:58 PM

I agree with most replies as to cost of maintaining substantial inventory, and offering classes. This could be very
costly after you add in shop insurance/rental, etc. Many years ago while belonging to a "craft consignment"
shop, I found it profitable due to vacation/tourist trade in the area. Since then just sewing/selling all sizes of
quilt tops ; the Ebay site is exceptional.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:19 PM

I live in N.C. and we do not have a fabric store in our area. The last one was highly successful as long as she worked with the quilt guild. Our guild is wonderfully active.The different fabric collections was fantastic.Batiks,solids, children fabric, panels and flannel all was great quality.Which made a difference to most people. Classes with the patterns and fabric pre-cut.Also, a lot of blenders. All this and you may ask why did this shop close? Attitude and customer service was only thing everyone said was lacking.Maybe everyone that enters your doors will not buy this time, but maybe the next time you may sell 10 - 12 yards.I am one that needs to look and go home and think about my next quilting project. I do know most time a shop has to order 15 yard bolts and you can tie up alot of money quickly.So maybe take a look at what your local quilt guild is doing. MY best advise is good quality fabric and great service and you will be greatly successful.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:05 PM

You have to plan on some type of program or product that keeps them coming in regularly to see what is new and making purchases.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I would stock fabric I want to own and make quilts with essential notions and good quality thread.
i would also find a group of quilters who could do classes for me in part of the shop using fabric from my shop. To begin with get quilters to make bags to carry cutting board and 24 inch ruler. They could do classes during the week or weekend. Need two kinds of classes newbies and established quilters with more difficult projects.
also see if you could get some dealer to loan new sewing machines with the aim to sell them. Also try to find a sewing machine repair man whom you can send machines from your customers.
Make a club where people can come if you have room to sandwich a quilt. Space at home usually a problem
last a person who can make the shelving, ike a good, and who will support in all ways

lastly plenty of quilts bags etc on show to show what you do.
As a fairly new quilter this quote appeals to me very much, all the things I'm looking for!
Jeri
Old 01-25-2015, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Actually I would open a resale shop for items (material, patterns, rulers, sewing machines, etc.) that quilters such as myself have over-bought or have realized "why did I buy THAT'? There are resale shops for books, clothing, furniture and more...why not material???
I absolutely love this idea! I for one would frequent this type of store quite often. I would be buying as well as selling items I find that I don't like or never use, also patterns that I liked so much that I have forgotten that I already purchased it and turned around and bought the pattern again. I LOVE THIS IDEA!! I have NEVER seen a New & used Consignment Quilt shop, this would be great!
Jeri
Old 01-26-2015, 05:57 AM

My sister and I bought an existing quilt shop and tried it for a while before the recession hit. Overhead is a huge issue, those who owned their building were the most successful. My half was $150,000 and it was needed for overhead, merchandise and salaries. Remember a bolt of fabric is about 15 yards and you wil be paying about 50% of the retail amount. So if the fabric is 10.99 a yard, you will be paying about $5.50 a yard times 15 yards for EACH bolt! We were open from 10 to 8 but very few people showed up in the evenings. It seemed like they just wanted to know that we were open if needed. Filling classes could be a huge problem and we found that vending at guilds and events helped quite a bit but were a huge amount of work and extra fees for tables etc. and fill in help in the shop.Also don't forget insurance and snow removal etc. DO NOT think that you will have lots of time to do any of your quilting! Marketing and just plain paperwork from inventory to taxes; local, state and federal are also all on your plate! Selling sewing machines is how many are able to stay in business but the initial contract with a manufacturer can cost as much as $50,000! You have lots to think about!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:46 AM

I am not drawn to most of the LQS's around here, because this is an expensive area and so I shop online. It's significantly cheaper, it's easier, and I have a much wider selection to choose from. And since I'm an insomniac, it's nice that I can shop at 2AM.

The shop I go into the most often, I'm usually only there because they are affiliated with my guild and many of my guild classes are held there. I do shop around on breaks and try to find *something* to buy while I'm there for a class to help support the store (and everything except machines are 10% off if you take a class, even if the item isn't FOR the class) but their fabric selection is pretty small and mostly styles that don't appeal to me so I'll end up buying something like a bottle of fray check or a spool of thread...incidental purchases that probably don't do much for their bottom line but I can't find anything else there I need or want! And even with the 10% off, that thread or fray check could be purchased cheaper online.

There's a pretty big & nice LQS about 25 miles away that carries fabrics I really like, but again...cheaper & easier to shop online. Their shop SHOULD draw me in more often - it's very pleasant inside with friendly & knowledgeable staff, fabric lines I like, interesting classes and free parking. BUT...it's 25 miles away and even though their prices are entirely reasonable for a brick & mortar shop....it's still cheaper online and I can shop at 2AM in my pajamas. I really only go once a year - they give 20% off on my birthday and that is some SMART marketing because who doesn't feel like spoiling themselves on their birthday? So I go once a year and blow a couple hundred bucks....but that's not going to keep their doors open.

I'm not sure what a local shop could do to drag me away from my 2AM insomnia-fueled pajama-clad shopping habits to make me into a regular customer. I like the idea of reselling used gizmos and fabrics; I adore thrift shops and the "thrill of the hunt" and with a resale shop you never know what kind of cool treasures you might find so that would draw me to check out the store often. Classes, I think, would be invaluable to get people in the door. Right now I'm hugely obsessed with vintage sewing machines and would go crazy over a shop that bought & sold vintage machines & accessories for them - I would love to hunt for manuals and cams and feet; and would possibly even consider selling my machines through a local shop on commission. (Not sure how that'd work out for warranty issues; I suppose you'd have to sell them as-is unless the actual seller wanted to offer a separate warranty....)

I love the idea of a new shop opening and would definitely check a new shop in my area out...but I am fickle and cheap; unless there was something unique & special about that store or some really killer deals, I would likely not stick around as a regular customer.