Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question on threads >

A question on threads

A question on threads

Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 PM

Default A question on threads

I have the opportunity to buy a lot of thread in many different colors for a fantastic price. The problem is that its on cardboard cones and looks like smaller cones of serge thread. I don't have a problem with the cones and when tugged the thread doesn't stretch or break. In fact I tried to break it and couldn't. The questions is, do you think this would be suitable for general sewing/piecing?

I looked inside the cones and the ones that had a label I could read didn't have a weight given.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:28 PM

As long as the thread has no strength issues, then it would be great for piecing. I use whatever color is within reach for piecing as long as it won't show through. Quilting is different for me as I prefer connecting threads 50 weight.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Unless you do a *lot* of sewing, I would be somewhat wary.

For example, how linty is the thread? Over the years I have come to appreciate good quality thread -- such as Aurifil -- that is very smooth and does not leave a lot of lint in my machine. I figure a new machine would cost me a lot more money than extra money spent on good thread. I also like the fact that Aurifil is so thin, as it means I can load more yards onto a bobbin and reduce my bobbin changes. Aurifil also helps me make more accurate 1/4" seams (the thinness means that there is less fabric in the turn-of-the-cloth, and the seams iron flatter).

I could see getting this thread if you are going to use it in a serger or for making clothing. I would be much less interested in it for quilting.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

I personally prefer thinner thread for piecing. If it's thread that you're familiar with and like, then go for it. If you're just trying to take advantage of a good buy and it's not thread that you think you'll be really happy with, then skip it. Thread is not the most expensive part of quilting, and using good thread is more important than getting a good buy.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I personally prefer thinner thread for piecing. If it's thread that you're familiar with and like, then go for it. If you're just trying to take advantage of a good buy and it's not thread that you think you'll be really happy with, then skip it. Thread is not the most expensive part of quilting, and using good thread is more important than getting a good buy.
I agree. I use the best fabrics I can afford and the best thread. I use Mettler Silk wrapped because that was what the Bernina dealership said works best on my sewing machine. Cheap thread usually has lots of lint which isn't good for any sewing machine (in my opinion)
Old 02-20-2014, 02:07 PM

I do mostly quilting but do have some craft and clothing patterns I want to use. I didn't see a brand inside the cone but it appear linty. I've had some thread brands that look really hairy coming off the spool and this looks nothing like it. I "think" it said 100% cotton but can't be sure. All my machines are vintage except one and that one I rarely use. I think I'm going to get a cone or 2 to try it out and go from there.

I don't think the thread was a cheap purchase when originally purchased but since its being offered in a flea market booth its considerably less.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:01 PM

Even though it's tempting, I would go with a "known" thread.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I use Mettler Silk wrapped because that was what the Bernina dealership said works best on my sewing machine. Cheap thread usually has lots of lint which isn't good for any sewing machine (in my opinion)
I used Mettler silk-finish cotton thread for years in my Bernina, but once I tried Aurifil 50wt 2-ply I would never go back. Aurifil leaves *much* less lint in my machine than Mettler did.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:31 PM

The thread is mostly Coats & Clark Dual Duty Excel, a cotton wrapped poly. Most are full cones and were less than .40 a piece. This will help me with learning to FMQ and the thread waste. It sews well and isn't linty. Bought the whole box of 27 for $10
Old 02-22-2014, 06:48 AM

Great buy! I'm glad it isn't linty. Have fun sewing.

Connie