Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Question for treadle users

  1. #1
    Senior Member QuiltMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    826
    I recently got a treadle machine. I want to make a quilt with her so I'm slowly learning how to use her. My question is this: Is there some trick to get her to sew forward when I start pedaling? She sews a beautiful stitch but BACKWARD when I start pedaling!

  2. #2
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    12,397
    My husband asks if you're sitting on the wrong side of the machine.

    Seriously, I have read that you need to grab the handwheel and spin it toward you, then get the feet moving. I also understand that later models had a reverse, but don't know how it worked.

  3. #3
    Super Member tuesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Home!.. Why? Where are you?
    Posts
    2,259
    Isn't there a little nob type thing near your right knee that has a keyhole looking thing that you can move back that has the belt part going through it?

    I remember my Mom had one that had that and although I never remember her sewing on it, I would move that back and forth when I was little.. don't know really what it did though.. just guessing here.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    I have read that you need to grab the handwheel and spin it toward you, then get the feet moving.
    That is exactly how you get it started. If you have done it for a while you can tell where you stopped the pedal and can start it with out grabbing the handwheel.

    But in most all of the user manuals they will tell you to grab the handwheel to start it.

    Billy

  5. #5
    Super Member Maride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,882
    My grandma's threadle singer used to have a level on the front that when pushed down it ran backwards. Do you have a pic of the machine/

    Maria

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by tuesy
    Isn't there a little nob type thing near your right knee that has a keyhole looking thing that you can move back that has the belt part going through it?

    I remember my Mom had one that had that and although I never remember her sewing on it, I would move that back and forth when I was little.. don't know really what it did though.. just guessing here.
    Thats what you use to take the belt off of the flywheel to store the machine if it was a drop head type of treadle.

    The knob that macks the machine run backwards is for back tacking and was available on several manufactures machines but for the Singers it was on the later Model 66's, and the Model 15's.

    Billy

  7. #7
    Super Member tuesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Home!.. Why? Where are you?
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by tuesy
    Isn't there a little nob type thing near your right knee that has a keyhole looking thing that you can move back that has the belt part going through it?

    I remember my Mom had one that had that and although I never remember her sewing on it, I would move that back and forth when I was little.. don't know really what it did though.. just guessing here.
    Thats what you use to take the belt off of the flywheel to store the machine if it was a drop head type of treadle.

    The knob that macks the machine run backwards is for back tacking and was available on several manufactures machines but for the Singers it was on the later Model 66's, and the Model 15's.

    Billy
    Thank you Billy! See, I remember that part of it, that knob thingy that looked like an eyelet, but like I said I know absoutley nothing about it..so I'm just guessing..

  8. #8
    Senior Member QuiltMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    826
    Thanks for all your help. I'll give the wheel a turn toward me when I start.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    I do need to clarify this one thing though........Some of the treadle machines do run the opposite way depending on the manufacturer.

    Billy

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    18
    I was remembering my Grannies treadle when I was little. I would start a seam and be going forward and all of a sudden I would be going backward. As a memory it's funny,as a little girl trying to learn to sew it was very frustrating.


  11. #11
    Senior Member Grinster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    652
    WOW! I have 2 Red Eyes. I will try to add a picture. The first one is "Kate" my husbands grandmothers treadle it is from 1919. Yesterday I got a second one from a dear friend. It belonged to her Grandmother Ruth. I am going to call her "Jane" for my friend that I got it from.

    "Kate" 1919
    Name:  Attachment-97739.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  59.3 KB

    "Jane" 1910
    Name:  Attachment-97742.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  59.9 KB

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinster
    WOW! I have 2 Red Eyes. I will try to add a picture. The first one is "Kate" my husbands grandmothers treadle it is from 1919. Yesterday I got a second one from a dear friend. It belonged to her Grandmother Ruth. I am going to call her "Jane" for my friend that I got it from.
    Nice very nice indeed!!!

    Billy

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    the mountains
    Posts
    72
    I usually recommend to those who want to learn to treadle to start without any thread in the machine. Initially you don't even need to use fabric if you raise the presser foot up. I use both feet to treadle, one foot completely on the treadle plate and just the "toes" of the other foot on the front edge of the treadle plate. Now, pull the handwheel towards you (if you're using a Singer). You will feel the treadle plate move----go with that movement. I think it's best to go a bit faster now than you would if your were actually sewing; this helps you to become "acquainted" with the motion.
    Next step: place some fabric under the lowered presser foot, but still without any thread. Practice "fake sewing" like this with the fabric being fed by the feed dogs. Learn to stop the machine (stop treadling) without having the handwheel turn suddenly in the opposite (wrong) direction as this motion will break your thread. Until you become skilled at stopping with your feet, you will need to reach over and stop the handwheel when you stop the foot motion sort of simultaneously.
    Caution treadling may become addictive; some people have been known to seriously neglect their expensive computerized machine once they learn how rewarding it is. Enjoy!

  14. #14
    Bottle Blonde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    481
    I place both feet on the treadle - right foot in the upper right corner - left foot in lower left corner. I turn the wheel to get started, but I noticed if I do not go all the way down (at the heel) with my left foot - the machine will stall, break the thread and then go backwards. I've really had to practice following all the way thru with this stroke.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    I will say my hand wheel is my best friend! I use it to start off with and then when it comes time to stop I grab it. I never try to start treadling without starting the handwheel, and I never stop it unless I grab the hand wheel. I never break the thread or run it backwards.

    Billy

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    the mountains
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I will say my hand wheel is my best friend! I use it to start off with and then when it comes time to stop I grab it. I never try to start treadling without starting the handwheel, and I never stop it unless I grab the hand wheel. I never break the thread or run it backwards.

    Billy
    I found that to be true for some treadles, but the two treadles I use most often these days luckily seem to be in "just right" balance (or maybe adjustment?) where I can usually start and stop with just the foot pedal without breaking the thread. But it certainly doesn't hurt to use the handwheel for added insurance.
    Billy, do you do any Freemotion quilting using your treadle? I really prefer it to any of my e-machines now.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by shesews
    I found that to be true for some treadles, but the two treadles I use most often these days luckily seem to be in "just right" balance (or maybe adjustment?) where I can usually start and stop with just the foot pedal without breaking the thread. But it certainly doesn't hurt to use the handwheel for added insurance.
    Billy, do you do any Freemotion quilting using your treadle? I really prefer it to any of my e-machines now.
    I FMQ on my Japanese 15. I can drop the feed dogs, loosen the tension on the presserfoot and away I go!! I have more control by doing it with the treadle I think.

    Billy

  18. #18
    Senior Member Grinster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    652
    Billy,
    I can't figure out how to thread this machine. The bobbin is also a mystery to me. How do I position it in the case? Is there a tutorial somewhere on this board?

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinster
    Billy,
    I can't figure out how to thread this machine. The bobbin is also a mystery to me. How do I position it in the case? Is there a tutorial somewhere on this board?
    Here you go..........

    http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

    Just click on the free download and it will tell you everything you need to know. The photos will be grainy but you can still make it out.


    Billy

  20. #20
    Senior Member Grinster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    652
    Thsnks Billy!

  21. #21
    Senior Member redbugsullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western Washington State
    Posts
    552
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by shesews
    Caution treadling may become addictive; some people have been known to seriously neglect their expensive computerized machine once they learn how rewarding it is. Enjoy!
    This would be me! I had NO idea how much my old ugly Alvah would change my preferences. At night, I'm just itching to treadle especially if it has been a stressful day. Very relaxing...

  22. #22
    Senior Member redbugsullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western Washington State
    Posts
    552
    Blog Entries
    6
    Billy, do you do any Freemotion quilting using your treadle? I really prefer it to any of my e-machines now.[/quote]

    I am just beginning to FMQ with my treadle and find that it is easier to control even with feed dogs up. My designs are still rather large because I can't seem to get the hang of smaller free motion, looks like a beginner 4-H project! :-D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.