Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on writing on your quilt! Please Help! >

Question on writing on your quilt! Please Help!

Question on writing on your quilt! Please Help!

Old 04-10-2016, 12:16 PM

Question Question on writing on your quilt! Please Help!

I am making a Double Wedding Ring Quilt for my son's wedding. I want to surprise them with it on their wedding day while allowing the quest to sign the back and the wedding party sign the front. My problem is, can you write on a quilt that has already been top-stitched? Will you be able to read it since it won't be on smooth cotton? I have heard of others taking swatches of fabric to the wedding and letting quest sign them, then putting quilt together afterwards but I really didn't want to do it that way. I was really hoping to totally surprise them with it already done. Any advise please!
Old 04-10-2016, 12:29 PM

It might make it a little more difficult to write on, but not too much if it is not heavily quilted. I would suggest pigma micron pens or pentel pens for fabric to make sure that the wishes will last.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

I would starch and bring the backing for everyone to sign and write messages on. I would put the top on display beside it. I would hate to have a DWR top ruined after all the work to make it. Everyone tries to write nicely but you always get a few that scratch out what they want to say, the pen bleeds, someone spills their drink...etc. Just my opinion of course and you can decide for yourself.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan. There is too much potential for mishaps if guests write on the quilt. I would go one step further and have them write on pieces of fabric that are ironed onto freezer paper, then make those fabric pieces part of the back of the quilt. Bring lots of extras so that the guests can have do-overs if they make mistakes. Displaying the quilt top is a wonderful idea.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

I worked with an event planner for several years. There are horror stories of guests ruining an object meant for future display. Anything from the accidents mentioned above to shall we say 'interesting' comments added by guests who have been celebrating a bit too much.
If you really want it pieced before the wedding, I think Tartan had the best idea: display the top and have the back available for signing. the only question I would have is if the pens will work on starched fabric. Something to check.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 04-10-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:41 PM

Agree. And I would also advise you to very carefully research what kind of pens to use. Some pens bleed, some fade, etc.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:04 PM

I also advise pieces of fabric to be incorporated into the quilt back. The potential for disaster is much too great, and you don't want a disaster to be one of the stand out memories of this all important day. Having the quilt top displayed,in a way that also prevents potential disasters, will be a wonderful surprise for them (possible photo background for a family picture?)
Old 04-10-2016, 03:48 PM

You can. It all just depends how "fussy" you think the bride/groom will be about it getting messy. If you believe the experience of seeing their guests sign the quilt & being able to take it with the is more important than it being very neat & tidy (to some people, it is), honestly, I'd probably keep it pretty simple & tie it rather than quilting it. Typically the signature quilts I've seen either have square/rectangle piecing (SID so easy to sign without having to go over stitching) or applique (hearts & leaves seem to be especially popular). Try to get signatures as early on as possible & keep the quilt signing table away from any food, drinks, crowded areas or the front door.

If the bride & groom are more particular about having everything looking all nice & neat on the quilt, you could try to gather signatures or quote ahead of time. I had a neighbor whose mom did that for her. She got some people to sign in person & set-up an eVite for the rest of the guests to post their favorite quote about love that she would copy onto the quilt with their names. The fabric for signing was pressed to freezer paper on the back to make it flat. For the front, she bought this giant rectangle hole punch (2"-3" probably) that she used to punch a hole in the middle of the freezer paper & then applied that as the "signing window" to the front of the fabric. I wish I had a picture of it because it was the loveliest quilt.

As far as what pen to use, Peckish put together this nice side-by-side comparison of different pens: http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/201...inal-decision/
Other inks will stay if you apply either Textile Medium or Aloe Gel (I use 1:1 ratio with water) -- but then that is sticky & needs to dry flat to set for several days before washing.

Lately, it seems like most of the weddings I've been to prefer not to receive gifts on their wedding day. They have so much going on that day that they enjoy receiving the gifts (other than money) either shortly before or after the wedding.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

First of all, Micron pens are the best but with numerous washing, the signatures will fade. Why not prep some of the same fabrics with freezer paper attached to the back and have the guests sign those and make them into a coordinating wall hanging.