Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for you about sewing table >

Question for you about sewing table

Question for you about sewing table

Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 PM

Yes, I have a SewPerfect table, and I really love it. It came with my machine when I bought it in 2012. The white top looks just as good today as it did when I got it. As you know, it is very heavy, and once you get it set at the right height, you probably won't be adjusting it again. I agree with the person who said an extension would be nice, but I have put an old ironing board between the back of my table and the wall, adjusted to the height of the table, and that gives me a good amount of space when I am quilting. I am short, and I do have my foot pedal on a wool fabric-wrapped piece of wood to make it perfect for my legs with the chair I am using. The wood butts up against the metal table cross piece, so it doesn't move much, and a piece of stick-on velcro on the bottom of my foot keeps that from moving on the wood block. As for negatives, I do use the "measuring tape" on the front sometimes, but it is just a decal and some of the corners are starting to come up. Also, the one drawer is dinky and will come completely out of the table if you pull hard. This is not a feature, in my opinion. But the table is very sturdy and I would buy one again without hesitation if something happened to this one.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:47 PM
Gay

I agree with Stitch678 - can you shorten the legs? I'm using my old office desk, and if you need more table space for large quilts can you get a used desk. I bought another for $15, with drawers.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:25 AM

I have a small white table with metal legs. Husband took off the rubber caps, sawed each leg down to a size that makes a good size for my machine and it works perfect.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:36 AM

Why not consider "the Gidget" there are two diff sizes depending on the size of your machine. I have both sizes. They are light and easy to move and look to have the same sewing space as the one your considering. Plus Gidget is cheaper. The larger one has roller wheels so when you collapse and need to move it's rolls. I love both of mine and thinking of getting another larger one for my other bigger machines. When I say bigger it's the size of the hole for your machine and the height is adjustable so machine is level to table, so you can use with various machines and just adjust .
Old 02-07-2019, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Krylyn View Post
I have the Sew Perfect Quilt Professional II, I've had it for about two years. I Love it, but I wish I had the room for one of the extension kits, because the table feels rather narrow when I'm trying to quilt (that said, I have determined that quilting on a domestic sewing machine is just not for me, not matter what gadgets I get). I found it easy to put together, but I like putting furniture together. It is VERY heavy, so you might want someone with some muscle to help you when putting it together and moving it around. It's a huge upgrade from the Ikea table I was using previously.

Edited to add: Occasionally, they'll offer tables on their Facebook page at a reduced price because the finish on the table top is marred or has some other kind of cosmetic damage. It's worth calling to see if they have anything like that available, because they are expensive tables.
Oh, thank you for this...this is what I wanted...someone with the experience of ordering from them and a review of the product. I have tried all the other stuff mentioned and it does not work. I have a Juki 98Q and it made all the difference in the world for quilting on a domestic sewing machine. I have quilted one 91 inches square on it, where as it was a pain to quilt a baby quilt on my other machines. And I love doing my own quilts from start to finish.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-08-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:23 AM

If I were you, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I have been eyeing up that table since I saw one at someone else's; it seemed really nice and sturdy.

I currently have my machine on an adjustable-height Ikea table, and I love it. Honestly, sometimes moving it up or down half an inch relieves a pain that's been developing. You can't get that "perfect height" with a fixed height table, especially if perfect changes from day to day (or even morning to night). I'm fairly young and in good shape; I can't imagine sewing without it when I'm older.

If you can afford it, go for it! It sounds like you've thought it through, and it seems like a good solution.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
If I were you, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I have been eyeing up that table since I saw one at someone else's; it seemed really nice and sturdy.

I currently have my machine on an adjustable-height Ikea table, and I love it. Honestly, sometimes moving it up or down half an inch relieves a pain that's been developing. You can't get that "perfect height" with a fixed height table, especially if perfect changes from day to day (or even morning to night). I'm fairly young and in good shape; I can't imagine sewing without it when I'm older.

If you can afford it, go for it! It sounds like you've thought it through, and it seems like a good solution.
I really am almost to the point of getting it. I have sewing machines in Desks in the basement, and for regular sewing they are okay. My husband redid both desks till they are flatbeds...

Upstairs I have two machines set up on computer table, probably from a school. And with my machines setting on it, their bed is at that 27 inch height. I have quilted small projects on both machines and that height is just perfect.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:05 PM

I'm glad I could help! And I agree with SewandSow, adjusting the height often would be a pain in the butt. I haven't adjusted the height on mine since I put it together. I looked at the other tables, like the Gidget and SewEzi, but I wanted something super solid - and the SewPerfect is exactly that. You can also use your knee lift, if that's something your used to. I also use the measuring tape sticker on the front edge of the table way more often than I thought I would.

My problems with quilting are more related to the amount of patience I have and less related to my machine, lol I've done a queen sized quilt (and I did that as a quilt as you go!), and decided that I wasn't going down that road again. It was too fiddly and such. At this point, I'm researching and saving for a longarm.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:26 PM

The Gidget 1 and 2 which I have are very sturdy...Also use them for my emb machine and no shaking or vibration.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:37 PM

I had seen the SewPerfect table online but couldn't find one that I could actually touch to see if I wanted it. I finally went to Ikea and purchased a table called Thyge that has manually adjustable legs and goes from about 25 or 26" up to about 32 or 33". I got it on sale for a hundred bucks. I am now able to lower the table to a height that allows my machine to sit lower, about 27", and it has worked out fine for me. I did like the SewPerfect table but just wasn't comfortable buying it without having seen it first.