Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
questions  about spray basting >

questions about spray basting

questions about spray basting

Old 09-26-2010, 09:26 AM

Let me suggest that you go to some of the sewing sites and look at their fabric on clearance. I use Homestead Hearth, equilter, Tennessee Quilts, Suzanne's. All are great and that way you get quality fabric. If you are going to spend all those hours making a quilt, don't buy the "cheap" fabric. Fabric.com com has all reduced fabrics and you can get a bargain if you know what to look for.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by twistedsheets
3. can you take apart with out messing it up if you didn't do something right on centering 4. do you have to respray then after fixing 5. and lastly how many quilts will it do before repurchasing? Know they may be stupid questions ,but I thought I would ask anyway!!

1. How much does it cost
2. can you buy it at walmart or a quilt shop.

I paid about $7-8 at Walmart but have paid around $20 for other brands at LQS before. I like the Walmart one as well or better.

3. can you take apart with out messing it up if you didn't do something right on centering

Yes, definately. Kind of like post it note pads except after some time it doesn't reposition well any more as the glue has dried but you can respray. I always reposition parts and lift and reposition to work out "bubles".

5. and lastly how many quilts will it do before repurchasing?

I do not really know but I do very large quilts and do easily 2 Cal Kings and 3 or more extra long twins out of the Walmart can. I got way less out of the LQS ones except one called Sullivan (smelled horrid though but I liked that one too). One of the things I learned but am not good at is that it takes just a light layer of spray to baste. I tend to make sure and add more basically wasting the spray.

One more thing is that you works much better on cotton batting or predominantly cotton batting. I was also told it works for wool batting but have not tried it.

At first I was really turned off by the spray can thing but now I do almost all quilts that way except if they are ahnd quilted.

Oh yes try to spray in a well ventilated area but not drafty. I shake the can hold my breath and spray. then I step outside or by the window and give it all a minute to settle before I return and position the quilt.