Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions for longarm quilters >

Questions for longarm quilters

Questions for longarm quilters

Old 06-15-2023, 05:47 PM

Default Questions for longarm quilters

I recently bought a used Crown Jewel II on a Momentum frame, and I have a few questions I hope someone can help with. I'm running the machine with QCT5 Pro software. These issues seem to be more pronounced on more complicated quilting patterns with many stops and starts. My bobbin thread looks great sometimes and other times, it seems that the bobbin is too tight. I get a solid line of thread rather than individual stitches. I test the bobbin's tension every time I change it. The other issue is that sometimes the pattern goes a little wonky. Leaves are misshapen or curves have a flat spot. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks so much.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:29 PM

Uneven bobbin winding is a pretty common issue. One way to solve that is to buy pre-wound bobbins.
I'm not familiar at all with that software. You might check FB to see if there is a group for that software/machine.
When I have wonkiness in my quilt pattern, I always check the wheels, oftentimes there's a thread caught.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the tips, Peckish. I'll check on all that.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:03 PM

You might also want to try Bobbin Genies in your bobbin case. They work for me!

There are several groups for Quilters Creative Touch on Facebook, so definitely follow up on that idea.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:59 AM

For the curve issue, I found slowing down the machine stitching helps so the machine has time to make the curves correctly. I use IQ robotics on my machine and anytime I have curves like pebbles, I slow the IQ down so my pebbles look round instead of square.

I don't buy pre-wounds but use a bobbin winder that came with my machine. So far I haven't had your issue but I did find out not to wind it too full too as that could cause issues.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:05 AM

also check the manual. I have an APQS Lucey and on occasion, I will get railroading on the back only when the machine is moving in a certain direction. The manufacturer suggested to try turning my needle just a bit so it is closer to 6:30 then 6 o'clock. Something about the way the bobbin spins related to the direction of travel. The Lucey uses a round needle not one with a flat back, I don't know what kind your machine uses.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:08 PM

One silly thing that people do is to lean on the front bar while the machine is stitching. They don't even realize they're doing it. But that definitely messes up the design. LOL!