Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions on quilting a mason jar quilt >

Questions on quilting a mason jar quilt

Questions on quilting a mason jar quilt

Old 10-10-2016, 11:09 PM

My quilt evolves with each step....never would I ever be able to plan every step before I even start...
i usually start with a pattern..or fabric first...and that leads to the next step...
after I see the top then I can decide thread' quilting designs etc..
I would never get anything made otherwise
Old 10-11-2016, 05:40 AM

I always ask my long-arm lady her opinion of what color to quilt. She has more experience than me, knows what color will work best. Once I suggested to her I wanted a bright variegated thread because the quilt was made of bright Moda Marble fabric. She agreed with me and it turned out awesome.
I have fabric put aside for a veggie jar quilt. I was thinking (when I ever get to it) of black background, but that's me. I prefer brights, the bright veggies will stand out in black. But that's me. I use a lot of black. But I do have my collection of white on white fabrics too. It really all depends on you, and how bright your veggies and fruits are.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:33 AM

I have decided on a black background because most of my fabrics are bright colors and they look great with the black. I have made a couple of test jars from other fabric scraps (not my fruits/veggies fabrics) to test the size, border widths, etc.

One of the reasons I am being so particular with planning is that my quilt will have a brown woodgrain fabric "shelf" that the jars sit on. I found the woodgrain fabric in the beginning before I had as many fruits/veggies fabrics as I now have. I guessed on the amount of woodgrain fabric to buy having no idea how much I would need and since there is only a small amount of it remaining at the store, I have been drawing out my quilt to determine if I need to buy more woodgrain fabric before it is gone.

Thanks for all the help.

Renea
Old 10-11-2016, 10:09 AM

Sounds like it's going to a fun one to make Please post a picture of it when it's all done; I can't wait to see it!
Old 10-11-2016, 12:20 PM

I will post a picture, but it will take me some time. I tend to have several projects in progress at the same time.

Thanks

Renea
Old 10-14-2016, 09:31 AM

Curious if anyone who has made a jar quilt has found a realistic pineapple fabric that would work on a jar quilt.

Thanks

Renea