Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions re Quilt Consignment policies >

Questions re Quilt Consignment policies

Questions re Quilt Consignment policies

Old 07-10-2009, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
am i getting this wrong? isn't that what happened?
No, using your scenario, what happened was Quiltgranny got the $100 she said she wanted and the store owner got the balance, or $300. Klue is right, the store actually purchased the quilt for $100 and there was no 'commission' involved.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Banned

thats what should have happened butterfly but the store didn't give her $200. the store gave her the $100 floor and they kept $300 for themselves.

this is the problem - they didn't honor the 50/50 split and their explanation is you only wanted $100 so anything more is just more for the store.

its being dishonest on a terminology level and this is why we're all telling her to draw up an agreement in writing based on percentage terminology instead of a dollar figure.

at a minimun the agreement should address a floor price, a % of split based off of total price, length of consignment, and how the quilt will be displayed.

since this is a teaching shop i would also address reproduction (selling of patterns) of the quilt and any classes should be taught by her and no one else.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:56 AM

i misunderstood what the problem was. i thought they were giving her the agreed upon %, but that the figure was much higher than she thought the market would bear and they would price her out of the market.

in this case, if the quilt has not been sold yet, she ought to remove it from the store until the owner returns. after all, she has no contract with them to leave it there. if it has been sold, all she can do is tell the owner and hope that she will do the honorable thing.

EDIT: yes - she should teach the class, or be paid in advance for their right to use the quilt for educational purposes. but handing the quilt by anyone will decrease it's value.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Banned

thats why you have to have a display clause like i mentioned in the contract.

no one can touch the quilt without wearing gloves and it can never be placed in direct sunlight nor can it be displayed outside in a sidewalk sale.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns

at a minimun the agreement should address a floor price, a % of split based off of total price, length of consignment, and how the quilt will be displayed.

since this is a teaching shop i would also address reproduction (selling of patterns) of the quilt and any classes should be taught by her and no one else.
Thanks so much, Klue!! I will take this info with me next time I'm in the shop to compare with what if any guidelines/criteria they're operating with. I really appreciate those of you who've been 'around the block' helping us newbies out with these kinds of important issues! :)
Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

granny

feel free to ask us anything and don't be shy with asking questions at the store.

if you don't know how to respond to their answers just take notes and then come on the forum and we can discuss it and then you can go back and talk to them some more.

i don't know how much time you can devote to this new career but if you could sell patterns at the store and teach some classes its a good way of making some pocket money for very little time devoted.

when i teach its a 60/40 split on the class fee (i get 60) but i don't take any commissions on things that are sold for the class.

some people take less of a split and ask for a commission on the products sold. this is a good deal if the store insists that you must buy fabric to do the project. they put in the class description NO OUTSIDE FABRIC.

if they would be willing to do that then it might be a good deal to take a commission especially if its a large quilt.