Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quick, guess what your stash is worth >

Quick, guess what your stash is worth

Quick, guess what your stash is worth

Old 01-01-2015, 05:04 AM

Default Quick, guess what your stash is worth

OMG! Need to put a dollar value on my quilting room for insurance purposes. I've been quilting and stashing for years, so there's several large totes and table tops filled with fabric and scraps. I have no clue what the current value of an average sized quilting stash would be. If you had to replace your stash, what amount of money would you guess would cover the cost? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I have all my 1yd and larger fabrics on mini bolts so I would just add up the yards at $10 each. You could also go with todays replacement value which we be closer to $20 a yard.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:27 AM

Absolutely no idea, but you've started me thinking about it. I really should figure it out. Not today, though, as I want to get borders on a lap quilt and then get it layered. If I'm really organized, I may even be able to start quilting it.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:35 AM

There was a recent article that delved into the economics and demographics of today's quilters. Sorry I don't have the link to that article handy. If I remember correctly, it stated that the average quilter's stash was valued at between $5k and $8k for insurance purposes.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:51 AM

I made a guesstimate of around 8000.00 including my machines.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

A quick and fairly accurate estimation for quilting fabric is that 100 yards weighs approximately 30 pounds.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:46 AM

My insurance agent wants an itemized list of my fabrics and sewing supplies. I don't know how I am going to do that since the list is always changing. I took an quilt appraisal in to add a rider on the home owners insurance policy. If the house is demolished, the insurance will give me about $30 per quilt tp buy a new "blanket" with. My insurance agent was floored when I handed him the appraisal. He had no idea what a quilt was worth.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Our insurance guy wanted me to put a value on my sewing items. I said no just raise the content value on our insurance policy. It was cheaper. We keep a very high deductible so our policy rate is low. If something happened to only my sewing items, once we paid the deductible to replace them I wouldn't need the insurance. Insurance is very tricky. Be sure you are paying for what is best for you not the insurance company.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:52 AM

Onebyone, you are absolutely right! We could not believe some of the things that WERE included in our policy and some that WEREN'T. For instance, $200,000 for a flooded basement. Since we only use it for storage and because of our location (50 feet up a hill with a walk out to the back yard) it would have to be the second coming for our basement to fill with water. (We lowered that amount to a much more realistic number)

But back on topic, I would guestimate that my stash is around $5k. My machines are not that expensive but I would hate to lose the fabric and patterns that I have accumulated. And I have been quilting for less than 10 years. I like the idea of weighing the fabric. It would probably give a more accurate number.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:00 AM

The problem with weighing the fabric it would then be looked at as what cotton bundles were valued at perhaps on ebay and saw one (about mid price) that worked out to 4.44 a yard.