Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick, guess what your stash is worth

Quick, guess what your stash is worth

OMG! Need to put a dollar value on my quilting room for insurance purposes. I've been quilting and stashing for years, so there's several large totes and table tops filled with fabric and scraps. I have no clue what the current value of an average sized quilting stash would be. If you had to replace your stash, what amount of money would you guess would cover the cost? Thanks for your help.

Power Poster
    I have all my 1yd and larger fabrics on mini bolts so I would just add up the yards at $10 each. You could also go with todays replacement value which we be closer to $20 a yard.

Absolutely no idea, but you've started me thinking about it. I really should figure it out. Not today, though, as I want to get borders on a lap quilt and then get it layered. If I'm really organized, I may even be able to start quilting it.

There was a recent article that delved into the economics and demographics of today's quilters. Sorry I don't have the link to that article handy. If I remember correctly, it stated that the average quilter's stash was valued at between $5k and $8k for insurance purposes.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

I made a guesstimate of around 8000.00 including my machines.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Power Poster
    A quick and fairly accurate estimation for quilting fabric is that 100 yards weighs approximately 30 pounds.

My insurance agent wants an itemized list of my fabrics and sewing supplies. I don't know how I am going to do that since the list is always changing. I took an quilt appraisal in to add a rider on the home owners insurance policy. If the house is demolished, the insurance will give me about $30 per quilt tp buy a new "blanket" with. My insurance agent was floored when I handed him the appraisal. He had no idea what a quilt was worth.

Our insurance guy wanted me to put a value on my sewing items. I said no just raise the content value on our insurance policy. It was cheaper. We keep a very high deductible so our policy rate is low. If something happened to only my sewing items, once we paid the deductible to replace them I wouldn't need the insurance. Insurance is very tricky. Be sure you are paying for what is best for you not the insurance company.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Onebyone, you are absolutely right! We could not believe some of the things that WERE included in our policy and some that WEREN'T. For instance, $200,000 for a flooded basement. Since we only use it for storage and because of our location (50 feet up a hill with a walk out to the back yard) it would have to be the second coming for our basement to fill with water. (We lowered that amount to a much more realistic number)

But back on topic, I would guestimate that my stash is around $5k. My machines are not that expensive but I would hate to lose the fabric and patterns that I have accumulated. And I have been quilting for less than 10 years. I like the idea of weighing the fabric. It would probably give a more accurate number.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

The problem with weighing the fabric it would then be looked at as what cotton bundles were valued at perhaps on ebay and saw one (about mid price) that worked out to 4.44 a yard.

You brought something to my mind that I should look at. What a job.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I don't want to.
    I don't want to admit to myself and others just how much I have. )

Power Poster
    In my case - there are two values for what i have -

What i paid for items then -

What it would cost to replace everything at today's prices.

One could take pictures of some of the stuff and keep the pictures off- site.

You might ctonsider dealing with one category at a time -

Fabric
    Machines
    Cutting equipment
    Rulers
    Books and patterns
    Batting
    Pressing equipment
    Craft table
    Needles and pins
    Quilting equipment - long arm, frames
    Storage - shelves, drawers, totes
    Miscellaneous

If one does embroidery, or other embellishments, there are more categories
    Last edited by bearisgray; 01-01-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    LAM $16, 000

Bernina $ 3,000

fabric $10,000

Horn table $500.

Chair $250.

other stuff $500. Rulers, mats, scissors, gadgets, computer programs

This is a collection of over 25 years of quilting.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Yikes:

Long Arm & frame $9,000
    LA threads $1,200 & templates $500
    Quattro 2 and programs $8,000
    Emb Designs $3,500
    Emb Threads $2,500
    Stablizers & other accessories $2,500
    Little Brother Mach $200
    Pfaff Sewing $2,500
    Desks/Chairs/Cabinets $2,500
    Fabric, yardage, precuts & kits $9,500 to $12,000
    Patterns/Books $2,500
    Irons/Boards/Crochet/Knitting/Rulers/Mats/Suitcases/Ott Lites/Accu-cut/Templates/Electric Quilt /etc etc $5,000
    Laptop for just Embroidery $1,500
    TV & Stereo $1,500

Scary when you think about it itemized
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Blog Entries
    It so depends on how much you really keep in your "stash"....It could easily be somewhere between $5-10 thousand! No clue how much fabric you had...just know that insurance companies never "overpay"...I would figure $10 a yard, and go from there.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    It is apparent that your insurance agent does not sew or quilt. Itemized list of fabrics? Get real...

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
    My insurance agent wants an itemized list of my fabrics and sewing supplies. I don't know how I am going to do that since the list is always changing. I took an quilt appraisal in to add a rider on the home owners insurance policy. If the house is demolished, the insurance will give me about $30 per quilt tp buy a new "blanket" with. My insurance agent was floored when I handed him the appraisal. He had no idea what a quilt was worth.

Has your agent told you about owner's negligence ? Better ask what that entails pertaining to your policy. I was so mad at our agent for not telling us about it I changed insurance companies. It would have taken him two minutes to point it out on our policy and it took me all day to read the policy and find out what it meant. The new agent told us up front about it before we asked.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    For an experiment, I was wondering now much fabric I could get in a 12 x 16 x 12 inch box.

Approximately 109 yards of " regular" quilting cotton fabric - which weighed approximately 30.5 pounds.

I have NO idea but I'm sure it would be probably $10,000 at least.

Fabric only- under $200, I don't have a stash and buy for projects. Equipment(sewing machines, cutter, etc) I've spent less than $800 total. If you would consider inflation it would be more but a thirty 30+ year old sewing machine isn't worth what it costs new.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Wow....you just gave me something to think about. I've never even thought about this! I don't have a huge stash, but I know what I've been paying for fabric, books, patterns, and all the "equipment" so, I think I'll have to check this out! Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    You just mention your stash, what about your notions? I would dread to do that.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Don't forget to add in cost of Thread - How many Spools do you have ? ( almost $3.00 each ?) How about the Scissors and Rotary Cutters and other Supplies... Keep the Receipts when you buy them, +Take photos when you buy items for your Stash of Supplies. and keep them together as Proof of the costs.... you would be surprised as to the $$$$ amount over a year's time.. and keep them in a Safe place... Side note: a package of Undies is $9.00+ if not on sale ... so yes if you want to keep accurate Amounts - Keep receipts and photos..for Replacement Value..
    Friend who can share your laughter and tears are the only ones you need.

Blog Entries
    I had to do this a few years ago. It took me a week to measure all the fabrics. Ins.co. called quilting fabric and batting's at $20 per yd. and my upholstering fabrics at $40. Since then I always pin a piece of paper with measurements on each one,and revise it each time I cut part of it away. I thought $10,000 was ample but I was so wrong-fabric alone was worth $40,000 -I ended up at $60,000 to cover 1 room's contents. So do not under value your treasure trove of fabrics and machines.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast