Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quick Question on Sorting Fabric >

Quick Question on Sorting Fabric

Quick Question on Sorting Fabric

Old 01-12-2010, 08:41 AM

Listen.....for all you highly organized people....go to your stash and toss all your fabrics together in a heap. You will be amazed at what wonderful colour combinations you will discover, that you never thought you had.
Oh... alright... I'm off to colour coordinate my stash.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 AM

Sorts, who sorts? LOL mine are all thrown in together and I have a hunting party when i'm looking for fabric. When I get settled I hope to ger organized.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM

I sort by color, separating novelty fabrics, batiks, hand dyed, silky, fleeces independently and together. Hope I am clear on this one. It works.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:44 PM

WOW>>>just read some of the reponses...you quilters have a lot of material if you're sorting it by color, design, etc. I have my fabric in 2 plastic tubs. I just dig through until I find colors I like together for my next quilt. I've been making comfort quilts for a nursing home and it takes just 2 yards or so and 4 colors per quilt top. :lol:
Old 01-12-2010, 03:02 PM

I sort my fabrics mostly by color. I will place yellows and golds next to each other, same with reds and pinks; blues and purples. If they are part of a collection, I sort them by collections and keep them together. There is the exception, as embellished in gold; holiday, fruits/vegetables, specific themes, etc.. They are folded and shelved in cabinets. Anything under 1/2 yard is folded smaller and put in small containers by color only. If I had the room, I would break it down even more. But this way I can tell at a glance if I am looking for something. It cuts back on pulling out everything when looking. But do whatever you think will work for you - everyone is different.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
PS... I am waiting for a snow day to sit and watch DVDs and sort my scrap basket... I am going to use Quilt magazine's Chunk,Charm, Chip, Stray, Strip, String method!
I did this. It took all day but really felt good when it was done.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by nitakhoops
WOW>>>just read some of the reponses...you quilters have a lot of material if you're sorting it by color, design, etc. I have my fabric in 2 plastic tubs. I just dig through until I find colors I like together for my next quilt. I've been making comfort quilts for a nursing home and it takes just 2 yards or so and 4 colors per quilt top. :lol:
I have 8 good sized rubber maid tubs and thought that was a lot until a friend told me that she had at least 20 :shock: Now that is what I call a STASH :!: :?: :!:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:39 PM

How long have you been quilting? I buy mostly FQs and so I have quite a few, especially after 18 years of quilting.

Honey - we should go shopping at your friends house! :lol:
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
How long have you been quilting? I buy mostly FQs and so I have quite a few, especially after 18 years of quilting.

Honey - we should go shopping at your friends house! :lol:
I totally agree. I'll keep her busy and you sneak in the back door :wink:
Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Honey
I totally agree. I'll keep her busy and you sneak in the back door :wink:
Works for me! :lol: