Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quick question >

quick question

quick question

Old 10-17-2011, 11:55 AM

I've done tape along with my 1/4" foot. Don't see why you can't use whatever method you want to use. It's your machine and your quilting.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by SharonTheriault
Mole skin would work better if you have any. If not several layers of tape will help. Need to build it up so that the fabric sits up against it. Masking tape or painters tape are thicker and wouldn't need so many layers.
Excellent suggestion....can we still buy mole kin, my kids used to use it when they were backpacking alot....
Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 PM

You can find a quarter inch just fine in 1 of 2 ways: place your needle on a 1/4" line on your ruler and lay a piece of tape parallel to the ruler. Remove the ruler and build up the tape to form a dam to guide your fabric along; or place a square of 1/4" graph paper on your machine bed. Sink your needle in 1 junction(a quarter of an inch from the needle and either use tape or a whole pack of post-it notes to make a dam to guide the fabric along the edge. Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:24 PM

I'm not an expert, I'm very new at quilting but I've found that what works best for me is to use the post it notes to the side of the presser foot and then move the needle to where it would sew 1/4". I tried using my seam guide that came with the machine but found it's too big and cumbersome.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick
Do you have an post it notes? Take a few of those and stick them on the top of your machine at the 1/4" seam line. It will form a kind of fence to guide your fabric against. make sense?
I've used the post-it notes too. I've also used Dr. Scholl's moleskin. It has an adhesive backing that doesn't gum up your machine top when you have to remove it.
I had bought a special adhesive backed thick tape at a quilt shop to use as a guide. It was so expensive in comparison to the post it notes. An unnecessary expense, but I didn't know about the other options.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
Originally Posted by SharonTheriault
Mole skin would work better if you have any. If not several layers of tape will help. Need to build it up so that the fabric sits up against it. Masking tape or painters tape are thicker and wouldn't need so many layers.
Excellent suggestion....can we still buy mole kin, my kids used to use it when they were backpacking alot....
Yes, Dr. Scholl's moleskin is at Walmart. Used it long ago when one of my daughter's took ballet, toe lessons. I still use it on some shoes of mine.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 PM

The moleskin works great. Use a Dritz machine seam gauge and adhesive guide to find your quarter inch. It's a little red ruler, 4 inches long and has holes in it you use to find the distance of needle from edge of fabric (where you stick your moleskin). It is really a neat, and I think necessary, gadget to have.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 PM

post it notes or a wide rubber band over the arm or sew some elastic together
Old 10-17-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
Okay, thanks, all good ideas. I have the tape out, but was having trouble figuring out exactly where 1/4 inch was. Measuring on my foot makes much more sense.

In fact, I see some red marks on my foot. Hmmm...nope, doesn't seem to be where the 1/4 inch is.

Okay, again, thanks. I am going to either tape or just mark my foot. Gotta sew, ya know. :)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-273130.pdf (92.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 PM

I have used both tape and post-it notes. I started using them when I began teaching my 8 year-old niece to quilt and have kept them on when I discovered that the "dam" made my sewing so much more accurate; more so than the quarter inch foot.