Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quick quilt pattern?? >

Quick quilt pattern??

Quick quilt pattern??

Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
By her not wanting a patchwork quilt, I'm not sure I would make her a quilt at all, unless you can find out exactly what she would consider to NOT be patchwork. I would take it to mean she would want a whole cloth quilt.
Exactly !after re-reading this i am not sure i would spend the time or money, I refuse to make quilts for "fussies" That is me though. I am getting grouchy with age lol.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Think about the recipient of the gift. What does she like? There are people who really don't like quilts/patchwork. It might not look good with her decorating style. It was probably very difficult for her to request "no patchwork" knowing that you love to make quilts.
How about a gift card for her favorite store or restaurant. I would not even think of making a double bed size quilt for someone who didn't indicate clearly that she wants one. I have even let the other person pick out the pattern & colors.
Last fall I made a queen size quilt for a friend who loves things historical, handmade, folk-art style and decorates her home beautifully with her heritage items, but she does not sew. I made the quilt from the pattern she chose in the colors she chose. She loves it. Her chosen craft is making rugs from strips of fabic crocheted, so I gave her a huge box of 1" strips of fabric in colors she was looking for.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 PM

This is exactly what she said! I c&p from my chat with her on fb....I like the quilts that have designs on/in them you know not just patchwork - I have a couple that mom made with needlepoint.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I'm guessing by no patchwork, she meant no scrappy and maybe no calicos. A color controlled pattern may be more to her liking. The purple, silver and black sounds like a winner.

How about cutting those colors into 2 1/2 inch strips and chopping them into 14 to 21 pieces. Then sew them together in a staggered fashion with the colors in a random order.
bargello style?
Limited colors will reduce the "patchiness".
Think about what she wears. Would batiks suit her?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:26 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Momof3Es
This is exactly what she said! I c&p from my chat with her on fb....I like the quilts that have designs on/in them you know not just patchwork - I have a couple that mom made with needlepoint.
Okay, it sounds like she's telling you she doesn't like fabric piecing. She seems to be thinking of things like the embroidered tablecloths and dresser scarves we now see in antique stores. It appears he wants handwork with thread, not fabrics cut up and sewn back together. To her "needlepoint" probably is embroidery.

For your own heart, please ask her to be very specific so you are not hurt when she doesn't seem to appreciate what you give her. I can't imagine a worse feeling on the part of both of you! Maybe send her some pictures from the internet with various ideas of what you could make and get her feedback.

Jan in VA
Old 11-23-2010, 10:49 PM

I agree with Jan. It will be hard enough to get it all done by the due date. If she doesn't love it, you will be so disappointed. I like the idea of sending her some pics and letting her figure out what she likes/dislikes. Patchwork can mean so many things. Have you visited her enough to know her decor and tastes? If not, how can you figure out what she wants? Especially since she obviously expects something she has in her mind. She likely has no idea that such a simple phrase could throw a dozen quilters into a tizzy of a discussion.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM

I just got my SIL's name for xmas. Thank the Lord above that we are not doing xmas with them until jan 9th!! I want to make her a quilt. Full size bed, she said not patchwork! But I need something simple! Can anyone help???
How about a nice center panel and several color borders around it. It's quick, no piecing involved, you can use a purchased panel or a piece of beautiful material.

The center of this quilt is a panel, the borders are a coordinating fabric. There is some piecing (the brown squares in the last border) because I ran out of fabric but you could do one solid piece.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-133073.jpe  
Old 11-24-2010, 02:15 AM

How about a Chinese Coin? Edie
Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 AM

I don't know how to paste an attachment on here. But if you search on Super Fast jelly roll quilt there is a Tutorial for one. And it is Super Fast and easy. Then stitch in the ditch or 1/4" from the seans to quilt. I just made one and it was fast and easy.

I'm thinking strips. Jelly rolls. they are already cut and I wouldn't have to cut it! She likes purple and silver! I think maybe a hint of black would be cool make the silver really pop!!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AnnaK
When she said not patchwork does she mean she doesn't want anything quilted? Ouch.
That is what I would understand. Does she want a comforter?