Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick quilt

Quick quilt

Recently, we learned our dear friend is very sick and she in the hospital. Her father passed away last Fall and there is no other family. It been a Rough year for her after being diagnosed with cancer and losing her father. Tonight, we have decided to drive down to FLA to surprise her and give her our support. DH ask me if I had any new quilt around which I do but unfortunately since we will be moving, I packed alot of them thinking I would not need it. So I was thinking of making her a quilt but it has to be something simple and quick to make. Quilt As You Go? Any suggestion! We probably leave in a week once I booked time off from work and make all arrangements. Thanks!

Turning Twenty is the 1st to come to mind.....you can easily put it together in a few hours (Lap size).

What a Blessing you are to your dear friend
    Happiness is a form of travel...not a destination.

Quote Originally Posted by wuv2quilt View Post
    Turning Twenty is the 1st to come to mind.....you can easily put it together in a few hours (Lap size).

What a Blessing you are to your dear friend
    I agree and you are definitely a blessing to your dear friend. She will be so glad to see you!

You can do the jelly roll race quilt in a couple of hours and then have the rest of the week to get it quilted and bound.

Warm wishes is easy and fast.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

D9P is my absolute favorite. Bless you for your thoughtfulness and prayers for your dear friend.

Is there any way to get to the ones you packed? That might be the easiest and least stressful option.

I did a queen size bricks quilt in less than a week. I cut bricks 6.5" x 18.5". I sorted the bricks by color and light/dark, and alternated blue/green, yellow/white/lt blue or green, brown/black, beige. I started the second row by moving 1/3 of a brick over. I quilted by stick in the ditch.

The other suggestions are good, too.

I just saw a very pretty cheater quilt here on the board that was quilted and bound and looked gorgeous. Also brought in $400 in a raffle so you know others thought it was pretty as well. Whatever you choose to do she will be covered in your love and that's what matters.

Diannia
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

how very caring of you
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

I agree that a jelly roll quilt would be quick and very easy to quilt. I can usually complete one in 4 days. It takes me 4 days because I work full-time and only sew in the evenings. Night 1 - cut 40 -- 2 1/2" strips WOF and sew them together end to end (cut 18" off the first strip you use). Night 2 - Sew the strips into the top and sandwich quilt layers. Night 3 - Quilt with a straight line on the inside of each strip or do a stitch in the ditch. I think straight line inside each strips looks nicer. I've done decorative stitchings on each seam line but that takes a long time because it's decorative. Square up and sew binding to one side. Night 4 - Sew down binding by hand. I usually give it wash on night 5 and it's ready to go. This is my favorite charity quilt to make with novelty fabrics. I made myself one using Halloween strips and it's as cute as can be.

Blog Entries
    DP 9 is my favorite also. No matching patterns, just squares.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

A rail fence goes together quickly.

Dina

Doesn't matter what you make, she will love it!!

What a sweet person to go all that distance to visit a sick friend!!
    Marie

You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    A smile is something you can't give away; it always comes back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
    Warm wishes is easy and fast.
    I 2nd the idea of Warm Wishes. I can do a lap sized in a weekend
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    You are just a gem for doing this .. Safe trip! I am stuck on the 10 minute block; I did a lap quilt in rectangles for a friend for Christmas- maybe that would work.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

The 10 minute block is sooo fast! Also, turning twenty. The jelly roll makes a fast lap quilt. Wish I was there to help you. Hugs.

My favorite quick quilt is Just Can't Cut It, big pieces and sews together like a dream!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    D9P is my absolute favorite. Bless you for your thoughtfulness and prayers for your dear friend.
    I agree it is mine also avery simple to make and it is just beautiful.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Power Poster
    what a nice thing to do for a dear friend i like to just sew blocks togatehr like 9 patches goes fast
    QUILTNMO

How about a panel quilt?
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

You could make a "summer in the park" quilt out of jelly rolls & QAYG in rows. Google Missouri Star Quilt Company for the tut.

D9P goes together qquickly, or a D4P.

Power Poster
    What a wonderful, kind and thoughtful thing to do. As you say it's been a rough year for her. If you couldn't find a finished quilt, I always go to my tried and true - focus fabric in 6 1/2" blocks, then two coordinating colors for a nine patch, or Warm Wishes, also quick and easy. A 5 block by 7 block setting gives you a nice lap quilt when you add borders, one narrow, then a 6" border. Just a suggestion.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and ideas, gonna look for sme of these patterns and pick something. My goal to do it,over the weekend while the snowstorm hitting us. Be safe and warm for those in wintery zone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast