Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt backing-need help please >

Quilt backing-need help please

Quilt backing-need help please

Old 10-18-2009, 05:22 PM

It makes sense that quilting shops sell the wider fabric. That must be why I don't remember having to piece the back.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:49 PM

The seam in the center isn't about a seam coming apart. It is that most people start folding quilts in half ... half of a whole is the middle <G>.
Also ... when people use a quilt, they usually put the middle over themselves. Think of where all bedsheets, etc wear out ... in the middle.
It could be that "instructors" are being too over cautious, but the other item is also the line going straight.
A more relaxed mental attitude probably wouldn't hurt in these matters.
A way to allieviate the concern over a straight seam, or that the seam would be really noticeable, is to select fabric that has a lot of pattern to it, as in calico ... the busyness of the little figures hides the seam - - usually <g> ... there are always exceptions to every rule.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by siss
an easy way after step four is to match the seams.
iron one of the new folds.
cut off 1/4".
open and you will have equal spaced pieces added.
hope this makes sense.
I like your suggestion about pressing a fold and then cutting it off. That would be a lot quicker and easier than cutting the pieces beforehand and then sewing them on. :-) Thanks for the tip!! :D
Old 10-18-2009, 06:57 PM

zkosh
i am glad you understood my suggestion, wasn't sure it was clear.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Banned

What few that I have done I have had the seams going horizontal because you actually save material that way.

Billy
Old 10-20-2009, 06:37 AM

I rarely use one fabric for the back of any of my quilts....unless they are very small ones, and even then....The professional way, I have been told is to break up the back into thirds and have three strips vertically or horizontally. I like to use four fabrics. I sew two together and lay them down vertically, then sew two other fabrics together and lay them down vertically next to the first two BUT not with points matching! They relate to the front in fabric and color and it makes the quilt reversible to have something so pretty on both sides. Sometimes I even start the label on the front and bring it around to the back so you know it can be used on both sides. It's interesting and innovative. The label becomes an intricate part of the quilt I have lovingly made for someone. Good luck. The only way we limit ourselves is to say NO to our imagination! Go for it! :lol:
Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 AM

Normally when I back my quilts, I use a sheet so that I don't have to worry with all those seams. It's so much easier for me and you can find sales on sheets alot of the time if you just look in the bedding dept. in wal-mart. Just my two cents for what it's worth.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 AM

one of my favorite ways to back a quilt iss from leftovers from the top. Make blocks to make up what you need from the piece you have for a back and have fun. I have nade a row of blocks down the middle, rows around the edges (as mang edges as I need) or just piece large pieces of fabric to the size needed.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:46 PM

The backing can be 1, 2 or many pieces from a plain single color to a quilt in itself. Get creative and with a little more work end up with a novel backing
Old 10-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Honestly, I have made plenty of quilts with a basic horizontal seam right down the middle, and I have not had any problems.