Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt basting spray >

quilt basting spray

quilt basting spray

Old 08-18-2016, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

I also use what Jane quilter does but I only use it on smaller projects. I prefer pin basting over all the other new methods because it so much easier to undo a pin and re-position. JMO
Old 08-18-2016, 05:01 AM

505 all the way! I'll never pin baste again.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:37 AM

Me, too. I find it works very well for all my quilts.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I use Elmers's washable glue for big quilts and 505 for smaller ones. Walmart has the best price on 505. I find it marked on clearance every now and then and stock up. Then a new batch is on the shelf, then clearance again. Makes no sense but I reap the savings. I've had some 505 that is years old and still works fine.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:07 AM

I love spray adhesive. on large quilts I may spray only one quarter at a time. And I remember very good advice and that was that it doesn't take much to make it sticky. I've saved myself a bundle by not over spraying.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:42 AM

I use 505 on all my quilts....wall hangings to queen size.
You have to be sure that your fabrics are 100% cotton, or it won't stick well.
I spray it half at a time, but Ricky Timms sprays his in quarters and I think I will try that next time.
I have a queen sized that I've been doing FMQ-ing on for almost a year and it is holding perfectly through all the handling. Great stuff.

Watson
Old 08-18-2016, 09:52 AM

I just started using the June Tailor basting spray and have had excellent luck with it. After my last project using it, I ran out of the can my friend have given me & it was such a positive process, my DH ordered me two new cans!! He's the best; always looking for things to make my quilting experiences easier. (Sometimes my restrictions can make things really difficult, but I love quilting too much to give it up.) ;-)
Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 AM

I took my quilt outside to spray baste it...the wind blew and all the fabric ended up in a tangle. What a mess. I find the stuff too smelly to do inside.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I took my quilt outside to spray baste it...the wind blew and all the fabric ended up in a tangle. What a mess. I find the stuff too smelly to do inside.
I know that was frustrating! I usually sit up folding tables on my back porch to spray baste If any over spray there is nothing to worry about. For small projects I put it in a deep box and then spray.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:59 PM

I've had very good results using 505 on small quilts. However, I just used it on a quilt that ended up being 67" square and found that I needed to periodically stop, hang the quilt up on my design wall and reposition the unquilted portions of both the top and bottom of the quilt as I was getting quite a bit of creeping--almost like the quilt fabric was sliding across the top of the batting due to handling, this was not the usual kind of thing that can happen when dense quilting takes up the quilt on the portion being quilted, this was literally some sideways slipping of the fabric across the batting. I have to say that doing all that repositioning probably ended up taking as much time as if I'd just done my usual pin basting. I've never had the fabric slide across the batting like that when pin basting. I'll continue to use the 505 on my smaller quilts as I enjoy not having to stop and remove pins, but for anything larger than a baby or crib quilt I think I'll go back to pin basting.

The way I pin baste is quite easy to do, I just drape the back of the quilt over my cutting table, smooth out the wrinkles, put on the batting, smooth out the wrinkles, put on the top and smooth out the wrinkles then pin baste the part that's on the table, then I slide it so that another portion is on the table with the previously basted part hanging off the edge and continue basting, I smooth out all wrinkles as I go. I don't bother to clamp it down or do anything special and I've never had any problem with puckers. I've done queen sized quilts that way. It's fast and I don't have to get down on my hands and knees on the floor.

I've also had good luck with using a batting that's fusible on one side, in that case, I put the fusible side against the backing (since you can't see that side when doing the quilting) and iron until fused, then flip it over, drape over the cutting table and pin baste the top to the batting/backing sandwich--also very fast and again, I've done quilts as large as double/queen size this way and no problems with puckers.

Rob

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>