Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quilt batting by the roll

I have a quilt I am taking to have long armed and I need to buy batting. I am looking at the prices and see that buying it by the huge roll is SOOOO much cheaper in the long run.

How many of you buy it by the big roll? What is the average price? What is an average loft to buy? Where do you get it?
    THANKS !

I bought a bolt- 40 yards x 90" wide Warm N Natural from Joann's at 50% off before Christmas. it costs about $2.00 a yard less. Felt guilty not getting it from lqs, but it's a substantial savings when you are serious about your quilting obsession.

I like having it handy, I can see exactly how much is left. I always seemed to need batting even though I would buy enough for 2 or 3 quilts at a time.

Barb

I am on my 4th bolt of the 40 x 90 Warm and Natural. This last time I bought it from JoAnns.com, they had a 50% off sale and an additional coupon for 10% off. I think I paid around $160 something and it was delivered to my front porch. Deffinately the way to go. They almost never have a whole bolt at the stores.

I buy a roll 90 wide by 40 yards from a place that sells it at wholesale prices. And it's shipped right to my Canadian door. :) It was cheaper for me to do that than buy it locally at 18.00/meter. :)

I buy Hobbs by the roll from Hancocks of Paducah. I like the cotton 80/20. Have bought several rolls - use it for everything.

Polly

I see it is "on sale" at joanns right now. Is this always on sale or did I just happen to look on the right week? It isn't on the sale flyer, or I couldn't find it there anyways :)

No it is not always on sale. Sometimes it is on sale for 40%off, sometime 50% off and sometimes at regular prices. But it does go on sale fairly often. If it's not on sale, they regulary put out a 40 or 50% off coupon that you might be able to use toward it.

Blog Entries
    I'd buy it by the roll if I had somewhere to put it when it was delivered :evil: (That evil eye is for my DH)

I store mine in the garage in the box it came in. There is no room for a car in there. I also have a few tubs of fabrics and lots of crafting supplies etc. Fortunately I havn't had any spiders or bugs find their way into my batting.

I buy Hobbs 96" 80/20 from Marshall dry goods... 97.00 plus 15.00 shipping 30 yard roll. Came in a large Sturdy plastic bag not to large and only in about 3 days... Grace

I always buy mine when it's on sale at Joanns. I usually get the 90 wide by 40 yards. Have never paid more than $100 for it. I get free shipping because I order so much from them. They deliver fast too!

I generally buy warm & white (or natural) on sale at 50% off at Hancock. I buy anywhere from 5 to 10 yards at a time, depending what projects I plan to use it for.

When I get my sewing room organized, I plan on buying the rolls on line, there are several sites that have very reasonable prices and since there are no fabric stores close by, I'll try one of the online sites.

I always use Warm and Natural i like it best because the label says that you can quilt 10" apart.... Hobbs is 3" at least the one I saw so read the labels to see how far apart you can sew... it's interesting to me... does it mean if you quilt more than 3" on hobbs the batting will fall apart? So pay attention to the amount of quilting you need.
    J

I store the roll in the closet. Just slide it out to measure and cut, then right back into it's spot. When I bought it by the yard I was looking for places to keep it and I could never remember where I moved it. Now, I keep the trimmings in a bag hanging in the closet and the larger leftover pieces folded in the armoire in the next room.

Barb

I wish I could buy it that way, but no place to store it.

check sizes and prices at atlanta thread company and bayside quilting. also try keepsake quilting.

i have bought that way and it laid around too long because i change sizes and lofts too often.

Put it UNDER THE BED lol. You can always use bricks to raise the bed higher if it doesnt fit. We have a small cottage and I bought bed risers at Altmeyers and have lots of storage under the beds now. I made dust ruffles to reach to the floor to hide it.

Margie

Quote Originally Posted by Margie
    Put it UNDER THE BED lol. You can always use bricks to raise the bed higher if it doesnt fit. We have a small cottage and I bought bed risers at Altmeyers and have lots of storage under the beds now. I made dust ruffles to reach to the floor to hide it.

Margie

Now that's a neat idea! (But how do you keep hubby from knowing how much stash he is sleeping on?)

Well, at the cottage I usually store supplies such as extra toilet paper, laundry detergent, etc...although I do have a small stash there. BUT at home...it is everywhere in containers...in fact, yesterday I went to Joanns and bought a few more baskets and some bins to try and reorganize at home :(. I havent been buying as much, but I do need to reorganize. Since I have moved more from sewing into quilting, it got bad. I still make some clothing for the grandchildren, but more quilting.

The BIG problem is I do charity sewing so I have soooooo much fabric. I have to cut "kits" out this week for pillowcases(I make the for Ronald McDonald house) and I will easily use 75 yards of fabric. I have a dear friend with a HUGE sewing room and lots of machines, she hosts a day each month, I provide lunch and the kits, sewers come and dont have to bring anything...machines, thread, fabric, lunch, all there...it is FUNand for a good cause :) Margie

Where do you get it, Shadow Dancer? I'm in northern BC and would purchase by the roll if I knew of a place that would ship it.
    Last edited by Teri10.31; 11-03-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I bought a bolt- 40 yards x 90" wide Warm N Natural from Joann's at 50% off & had it shipped to me in Canada. After special handling charges, shipping & exchange on the dollar the end price was $9.70 yard which is a lot cheaper than at our fabric stores in Edmonton, Alberta. Here W & N is $34.00 a meter for 90" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Polly C View Post
    I buy Hobbs by the roll from Hancocks of Paducah. I like the cotton 80/20. Have bought several rolls - use it for everything. Polly
    Thanks Polly, will have to watch the sales. I use to buy Hobbs wholesale but the shipping cost went sky high. My last bolt was from JAF but I guess they don't carry it any more.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by amazingcm View Post
    I buy Hobbs 96" 80/20 from Marshall dry goods... 97.00 plus 15.00 shipping 30 yard roll. Came in a large Sturdy plastic bag not to large and only in about 3 days... Grace
    Me too and I love having batting ready to use, when I am ready to use it. No having to make a special trip or plan ahead.

Thanks to all for the info! I lived in Smoky about 10 years ago.Nice little town.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast