Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt binding

Quilt binding

How much fabric would I need for a quilt 68" x 93" to make a 2 1/2 inch binding?

I just finished a binding on a quilt larger than yours and I only used about 1/2 yard.

SusieQOH Thanks so much. I was totally lost!

My Robert Kaufman app says you will need 5/8 yd
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

You're welcome, Pegala!
    I haven't done a binding in awhile and my directions didn't say how much so I took a yard and hoped for the best!
    I had some leftover.
    I finished it last night and am so pleased to be done!

JT
    Here's how I determine how much fabric is needed for my binding.

Take the length + width x 2. 68+93 = 161 x 2=322. Then divide that total by the width of your fabric. 322 divided. By 40 (on normal 42" fabric) = 8.05, which is how many strips of 40 inch fabric is needed for the 322 inch total length.

Now you need to determine how much fabric is needed, depending on the width of you binding. For 2 1/2 inch wide binding, take the 8.05 x 2.5 = 20.5 inches. I usually add another strip or two, just in case. So I would go for 24 inches or 2/3 of a yard.

Hope this helps for future binding needs.
    JT

Google 'Quilter's Paradise Binding Calculator' and punch in your quilt dimensions!

You ladies are phenomenal! Thanks so much

9 x 2.5=22.5, so 2/3 will be enough, though that's only allowing 1.5" for shrinkage and straightening fabric.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post

Take the length + width x 2. 68+93 = 161 x 2=322. Then divide that total by the width of your fabric. 322 divided. By 40 (on normal 42" fabric) = 8.05, which is how many strips of 40 inch fabric is needed for the 322 inch total length.

Now you need to determine how much fabric is needed, depending on the width of you binding. For 2 1/2 inch wide binding, take the 8.05 x 2.5 = 20.5 inches. I usually add another strip or two, just in case. So I would go for 24 inches or 2/3 of a yard.

This is almost how I calculate it - the differences are:

I add some inches for joins - I use a diagonal join - so that uses/wastes a bit more fabric
    and
    if I get a fraction for the number of strips needed, I round up to the next whole number.

68 + 68 + 93 + 93 + 24 = 346 (this is being conservative)

Divide that number by usable number of inches in width of fabric

we'll say that 40 inches is the usable width - you can check your width to make sure

346 / 40 = 8.65

You will need to cut 9 strips - there will be a little bit of left over strip when you are done

Multiply the number of strips times the width of binding you are using:

9 x 2.5 = 22.5 inches of usable fabric length

Fabric is usually sold in 1/8 yard increments in the US - although some stores will sell fabric by the inch. Walmart and JoAnn are two places that do so.

5/8 yard = 22.5 inches
    2/3 yard = 24 inches

I would buy at least 2/3 yard to allow for shrinkage - I am in the wash-before-cutting group - and/or to allow for wonkiness - or in case the cut is off - I would rather toss an inch than be short 1/4 of an inch.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 07-04-2018 at 11:15 AM.

On the kid size quilts I have been making for about three years I have been good at guessing how much binding I need. I seldom have to add unless it is a larger kid size. I usually/almost always need 6 WOF strips with diagonal piecing. No math needed.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I would add the outside circumference (the length around the outside of the quilt) and cut that many inches from the width of fabric, adding 2.5 inches for each strip and one more 2.5 inch for the join. Yes, 2.5 is all you need for the join; you cut off the overlap at 2.5 inches. So the circumference is 322 inches. The usable fabric is 40 inches wide. 322 divided by 40 is 8.05 strips. So you add 8 times 2.5 plus one more 2.5 for all the joining seams and you get 22.5. Nine strips will be plenty. Nine times 2.5 is 22.5 inches. Add a little for squaring up the fabric and 24 inches should do it.

If you make your binding another width, substitute that width in the above formula.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I don't measure inches. I measure the number of strips I need to cut.

The width of fabric is 40-42". Using 40", two strips would give you 80". That's enough for the 68", but not for the 93". I would cut 9 strips: 2 each for the top and bottom, 2-1/2 each for the sides. For fabric requirements, 9 strips at 2-1/2" means you need 22.5 inches.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Trisher! Have the Robt Kaufman one for mobile devices, but wanted a simple one for the pc. Now I have one!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Power Poster
    Remember that you will have to allow for seam allowances for all the joins.

Power Poster
    I would rather cut too much binding than be 1/2 inch short.

So Glad I joined Quilting Board, I will be learning a lot from you experts.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I just went through this exercise yesterday. I generally only figure on 40" for the width of fabric and I add at least 10" for overlap at the end as a fudge factor.

This is the way I determine how much I need also.

Blog Entries
    I always cut my binding longer than I need....I would so much rather "cut off" than have to "add on"...My way is not scientific at all...I take the side and end measurements...double them..than add 4 or 5 inches.

Are you another math teacher? That's the same description I would have given! (And considering how much trouble my local grocery clerks have figuring a rain check, we need better math education!)
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!