Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Book - Highly Recommend >

Quilt Book - Highly Recommend

Quilt Book - Highly Recommend

Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by sentimentaljourney2974
half.com has it in paperback for $3.99.
Ok, so I hurried there and now the lowest price is 11.48. A run on a book then the stores get wise to it and up goes the price.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:19 PM

just ordered it since I dont have and looks like an excellent resource. thanks for posting about it
Old 10-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by lilhawk
Be careful of copy right laws if you are sending out patterns. The fines are steep!
lilhawk
Thanks for the heads up. I ONLY send out new and original patterns, not photocopies. Have gone and bought up all my LQS had on a recent pattern request.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:53 PM

I, at one time took a week long class from Mary Ellen Hopkins.
She is a hoot and a great teacher. She teaches you how to look at each block minutely and decipher the shapes which are in it. You are right about the value of her book. Everyone should have one in their "quilting library". Karen K.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 AM

I bought this book a couple months ago and started reading it last night. I was at a friend's house and she was preparing her strips for one of the quilts in this book, I became intrigued with the book, so I bought it. So many blocks!!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:56 AM

This was my very first quilt book I bought. All her books are great. You can certainly buy them with confidence. She is an absolute hoot and joy if you ever get the chance to go see. I'm not sure she is still quilting as much.
Originally Posted by SharonAnne
I am so in love with this book, that I thought I would share it with the group since I have not seen it mentioned on here (at least since I became a member a few months ago).

Name of book: "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" by Mary Ellen Hopkins.

It has over 350 different block designs of all different "patches", trees, roads, crosses, butterflies, etc, instructions on how to set a design "on point", diagonal sets, and on and on. There is also graph paper pages, how to figure the number of blocks needed, and much more.

This is a wonderful and inexpensive book for beginners and for experienced with 111 pages all filled with blocks like you see in the picture below. I got my book on Amazon used (it was actually like new) for around $10 about a year ago.

The reason I am posting this is because I recently posted a couple of pictures of my Autumn Table Toppers and many wanted to know where to get the pattern. I have sent some the pattern card for it, but this book has similar things and is WAY more economical. I guarantee you will love this book.

Let me know if anyone has one or buys one.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:13 AM

I will definitly have to find Mary Ellen's book!! It sounds like a great resource.

A friend just gave me another great resource book - she was just going to put it on the 'free give away' table at our guild meeting and I expressed lots of interest in it so she gave it to me instead!!!! It is fantastic!!!

It is a large hard cover book (488 pages!)called the Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns by Jinny Beyer. It has great examples/colored pics of more than 4050 pieced blocks along with the basic black & white grid for each to show how it is broken down into each section so that you can easily analyze the block. Each block is listed according to the earliest date of publication (which I found really interesting) and it is cross referenced with double names and duplicates. The opening chapters discuss step-by-step help on 'seeing' the grid behind each design. This info is good for redrafting the designs.

This is not a beginner's book or for anyone looking for immediate 'how to' instrutions. It is a terrific book for those that want to try their hand at drafting a pattern and researching the multitudes of patterns that are in the public domain. It is definitely for the more experienced quilter who has the patience to do this or to use as a companion for using EQ. There are no specific instructions on the sizes or on making the blocks. It offers very thorough info on the publication dates and who published the blocks.

I was thrilled when my friend just handed it to me and gave it to me!! She likes to do big block quilting with large pieces and she had received it as a gift and said that she would never use it. I have already spent quite a few hours pouring over all of the beautiful designs!! ithas absolutely every block that you can imagine!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:56 PM

That's awesome. My cousin has taken classes at Jinny's studio in VA and highly recommends her. Your free book sounds wonderful - even better than the one I have and love. I am always on the lookout at rummage sales, etc, so I'll keep my eye out for the one you have!!! Thanks for mentioning it.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 PM

Have you seen Mary Ellen on any tv shows? She is really a kick she roller skates and rides a harley motorcycle.
She was at the road to Ca, last year and I wanted to go so bad just to see her.
I have all of her books I think so anyway and just love them.
I will have to check and see if she has any new books out that I haven't gotten yet.
kjym Kathy
Old 10-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by kjym
Have you seen Mary Ellen on any tv shows? She is really a kick she roller skates and rides a harley motorcycle.
She was at the road to Ca, last year and I wanted to go so bad just to see her.
I have all of her books I think so anyway and just love them.
I will have to check and see if she has any new books out that I haven't gotten yet.
kjym Kathy
Never seen her, but from all reports, she must be a fun person. Do you know if she will be at the Pacific Quilt show this week?