Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt for cousin with breast cancer >

quilt for cousin with breast cancer

quilt for cousin with breast cancer

Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 AM

What a nice gift to her that she will love and thanks to MacThayer for the valuable information!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:04 AM

Thankyou so much MacThayer for all that info. I love your quilt Dina, beautiful soft colors. I don't like all those pink ribbons either.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:19 AM

Thank you all. I knew you would know the answer to my question. When I googled it, all I could seem to get was information about how chemo patients caught colds more often than others. I must have been googling wrong.

Thanks for the comments on my quilt, and thanks again for all the information, especially Mac Thayer. It helps to know what to expect.

Dina
Old 04-24-2012, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

your quilt is beautiful and I agree with MacThayer too on the issue of the pink ribbons. I am a survivor and supporter, but, avoid all those pink ribbons at all costs. That is just how I feel about it, and there is no wrong answer, but, always wise to check with the recipient.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 AM

what a thoughtful gift and so bright and cheerful you did a great job on it
Old 04-24-2012, 06:19 AM

Wishing the best for your Cousin. Lots of good advise from MacThayer. My sister lost her battle, but was always cold during chemo. I might add that most of MacThayer's advise also pertains to dialysis patients. My DH is cold during his treatments.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 AM

Re: MacThayer's suggestion about socks/slippers with grippers - There's a nice sock crochet pattern (free, on internet), which uses worsted weight yarn and works up fairly quickly. I've used the Tulip "puffy" or "slick" paint on the soles, for non-slip. You just squeeze it out onto the sock (swirlies, hearts, etc.), let dry, then hold a hot blow-dryer over it; the paint sets (the puffy paint swells) and provides a good non-slip quality.

http://www.crochetandknitting.com/socks.htm

Last edited by Neesie; 04-24-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 AM

Prayers to your cousin in her battle, you made a lovely quilt I'm sure she will treasure. I have a friend who has had surgery and chemo, she didn't want a quilt but I found a free pattern on Connecting Threads called Pink Ribbon Comfort Pillow https://www.connectingthreads.com/pa...__D991356.html I made several, in different colors, none of them with pink ribbons, she uses them all the time, especially when traveling in the car, says it really helps with the seat belt rubbing. If you have fabric left over from the quilt, you might want to make one or two - it took me about half an hour to make one, very simple, one pattern piece, just a few seams and then stuffing it.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:06 AM

MacThayer, that is a wonderful, wonderful lot of information, I'm gonna bookmark this and I can go back to it at anytime. Thanks so much.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 PM

She will love it. My sister is a 5 year survivor, the quilt I made her was what she came home and snuggled up in. You are doing a wonderful thing!