Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Cruise >

Quilt Cruise

Quilt Cruise

Old 04-13-2018, 04:32 AM

Seasickness...oh yes! I knew it could be a problem for me, so I went to a drugstore and found inexpensive wristbands with a snap that you put on a pressure point to alleviate any seasickness. They worked for me. While not the most attractive things, it was better than nausea. There are also OTC meds you can take.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:35 AM

I went on a Caribbean quilting cruise, and there were several classes. Only big problem was a class could have 25 people in it and 3 irons, more blew fuses. Some of the classes were great, others needed better teachers. I did take 3 excursions, had fun. I was fine but roomie got seasick! I would say go, pick your classes and check optional tours, have a great time.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:39 AM

Your husband will make your cruise an experience of memories to treasure. I went on one cruise after I lost my husband and I would have had more fun staying home and setting my hair on fire. It's not the cruise so much as the companion. Go, have fun, buy fabric, make those memories!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:48 AM
Vir

Pack your bag and GO! And hang on to that man - he obviously loves you very much.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:30 AM

I have gone on two Caribbean quilting cruises with Stitchin' Heaven. Went with a friend and the first time I had to be "talked into it" because the idea of a cruise just never appealed to me (saw The Titanic way too many times). But we went and had blast and it was ME who suggested we do another one!!! I found Stitchin' Heaven to be very organized and well-planned. You can sew 24/7 and classes are held during the day while the ship is out to sea, thus providing you with the opportunity to go on whatever shore excursions you may want to do. And in the evenings, you can see shows, gamble, or whatever you wish. (Hubby should be just fine wandering around the ship when you are in class - lots to see/do). In fact my friend and I are planning our next quilting cruise (which will be to Alaska) for the summer of 2019, just have to decide which one, as Stitchin' Heaven has THREE to chose from.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:34 AM

Sounds like fun! If you like cruises, go for it! I can’t do them. I did a 3 day cruise to Cancun before we did s longer cruise. So glad we did! It was lots of fun but I had horrible sea sickness, worst on last day. Our waitress asked husband about me when I didn’t show up for dinner with him and son. She sent a bowl of clear broth and crackers for him to bring back to me and to call if I was able to eat later and they would fix something else. The staff was very good! I was on motion sickness stuff the whole time. They just didn’t work for me. Other than that, we had a fabulous time!! Lots of great memories.

I do have to say, I can’t imagine seeing or cutting material on a ship. We had the hardest time playing mini golf. Decided we were playing against the ship 🚢 😂 instead of each other.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:55 PM

I am 71 and have had MS for over 20 years. I have never been on a quilting cruise, but my husband and I have been on about 10 cruises, all but one since I was diagnosed. I have never had a problem except that the tour director wouldn't let me sign up to zip line in Panama or let me do the extensive walking tour on uneven ruins in Pompeii.

Ask for help when needed. Your fellow quilters will be more than happy to help you maneuver things. There is a place during pre-registration for your cruise to note any special needs you have- physically or dietary. I use a regular room as every bathroom I have been in has had grab bars near the toilet and in the shower/tub. I use a rolling walker and make good use of the seat to move things around including my tray at the buffet.

Have a wonderful time. I wish I were going with you!