Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Dancing >

Quilt Dancing

Quilt Dancing

Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 PM

As I look at all the beautiful quilting on this board I can only think of rhythmic dancing. It seems to just glide along like a beautiful dance. It is very intimidating to me since I can't dance very well. I have no sense of coordination so this leads me to believe that my quilting will be very jagged and not very smooth. All I have done so far is meandering. I can't imagine doing feathers or daisies or anything repetitive that have to all look the same.
How do you all do it??? Everyone, even the ones that claim it to be their "first", look so PERFECT. How long did it take you to get to feeling comfortable with it?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 PM

All I can do is follow a straight line, but, you know, I am happy with that. I just admire all of the beautiful quilting on here, but I know i is not in my future. It took about four quilts before I was comfortable with stitch in the ditch or diagonal.

Not what you really asked, is it? Well, maybe in five years or so I might try something else....at two years, I am okay with straight lines.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
As I look at all the beautiful quilting on this board I can only think of rhythmic dancing. It seems to just glide along like a beautiful dance. It is very intimidating to me since I can't dance very well. I have no sense of coordination so this leads me to believe that my quilting will be very jagged and not very smooth. All I have done so far is meandering. I can't imagine doing feathers or daisies or anything repetitive that have to all look the same.
How do you all do it??? Everyone, even the ones that claim it to be their "first", look so PERFECT. How long did it take you to get to feeling comfortable with it?
My quilts are far from perfect but I only do them for my family and they know that I'm just learning. I have only mastered one all over design that I can do without really thinking about it too much. The only answer is practice. By the time you get a quilt done, especially a large one, you have probably learned one new skill (pattern) really well. At least that's how it's been going for me. Keep at it!!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:03 PM

I can't dance either - nor do I pretend to. To feel comfortable with FMQ they say it takes practice, practice and more practice. I'll be practicing soon, I hope!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:12 AM

I had that same problem. I brought Machine Quilting Crip Gloves at Hobby Lobby $3.49 with the 40% off coupon ($2.09) and I am doing ok. The fabric glides good. I called Lowes yesterday and if I bring both of my machine they can cut a piece of plexiglass to fit both of my machines (handmade extension table). They also sale the legs.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:53 AM

I don't dance with my quilts when I FMQ, I wrestle! But I keep learning tips from all of you, and at least the fear is subsiding. As long as I give them to non-quilters, the wobbly bits aren't even noticed. And now the wait time for the recipients is within their lifetime!