Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Dating- Mixed Period Fabrics >

Quilt Dating- Mixed Period Fabrics

Quilt Dating- Mixed Period Fabrics

Old 04-13-2021, 04:34 PM

Post Quilt Dating- Mixed Period Fabrics

Hi everyone,
I have a quilt with feedsack fabric backing, and what I believe is mostly feedsack fabrics on the star design as well. It is machine pieced, with hand stitching as well.

Some of the fabrics are woven, while others that are very similar in color have a much silkier feel to them. It looks to me as if some of these blue fabrics are newer rather than the original feedsack blue fabric. Anyone know what period the silkier fabrics might be dated to?

I appreciate any insight!
Old 04-13-2021, 05:10 PM

Is there a picture of what you're talking about?
Old 04-14-2021, 02:30 AM

There are a wide variety of textures/finishes in vintage fabrics. Not all 30s prints were indeed feedsacks, most weren't, it's more of just the fact that they were a particular weight of cotton.

Sateen was often popular, it is probably what you are talking about. It is mostly a weave difference and not a fiber origin. Percale is a different weave, closer to "standard" with no shine but a high thread count.

I know it's hard to imagine nowadays, but as synthetic fibers were introduced they were often spoke highly about in quilting articles, but particularly for their shine, the less ironing, and the color options. Part of the reason we can date some colors so correctly is that they just didn't exist prior to chemical knowledge/points in history.