Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt and fabrics and old handwork have musty smell >

Quilt and fabrics and old handwork have musty smell

Quilt and fabrics and old handwork have musty smell

Old 04-30-2015, 05:21 AM

White vinegar and warm water work for me. I discovered the vinegar for laundry smells after my son worked at KFC as a cook. His uniforms smelled so bad that he put them in the washer as soon as he came in the door. The vinegar always got rid of the smell. If there were big stains, I added some borax. I often use vinegar as a rinse in my washer rather than fabric softener. The vinegar prevents build up of soap scum and fabric softener gunk, plus my plumber says it is good for our drain. We have city sewer, so don't know what it would do for a septic system.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I am curious about the use of hydrogen peroxide. that is basically a kind of bleach, the sort of product we would put in our hair to go blonde (or sickly yellow...LOL!). Did your dogs get a 'dye job'?
No dear, the peroxide used to bleach hair is much stronger and more corrosive than what you use for this. This product would be the kind sold for use in the bathroom first aid kit.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:44 AM

I was able to get the smell out of DGS Marine clothes that were shipped back from Afghanistan (packed slow boat to China) using Arm and Hammer Baking Soda. It did such a good job, I could not smell at all. Just threw a scoop into the washer with regular powder. I have a serious issue with boy smells in general, imagine Marine smelly!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]518357[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails k2-_8d1f738a-1de4-41b7-b70e-b586bee1bcb9.v1.jpg  
Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 AM

Smile

Try washing in baking soda and rinsing in vinegar. Hang out if possible. Worked for me. My quilt picked up odor from a curtain that I put in the dryer to get the dust out. It was a temporary cheapo that I was giving away. I was washing my quilt and stuck it in the dryer right after the curtain and it picked up the odor. It must have been made of some type of petroleum product. I washed and washed and washed. Thought my quilt was ruined. Now it smells so fresh! woo hoo
Ever since I have been washing and rinsing with the soda and vinegar, hanging some things out and others in the dryer.
Additional hint.
Use some citric acid in the dishwasher. (not with anything aluminum though) Dishes and the dishwasher get really clean and sparkly.

Last edited by linhawk; 04-30-2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: additional hint.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:09 PM

I've never tried the order eaters. Didn't even think of that. Great ifea to try.