Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Frames? >

Quilt Frames?

Quilt Frames?

Old 11-21-2022, 02:22 PM

Default Quilt Frames?

I'm considering getting a quilt frame for my mom, but I'm wondering if any of you have them, if and what you like about them, are they sturdy, built well, etc? She used to have one several years ago, but it was not sturdy and I think was falling apart. I'm also looking for one that wouldn't take up too much space, because space is limited in our house, or do frames usually come in one size? I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject and would appreciate some input. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2022, 02:29 PM
Gay

Are you looking at a frame for machine quilting or hand quilting? I don't have any experience in hand quilting.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
Are you looking at a frame for machine quilting or hand quilting? I don't have any experience in hand quilting.
It would be for hand quilting.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:38 PM

This might be a case where you could give her a nice card and explain that you would like to get her a new frame and then either let her tell you what would work for her or take her shopping for one. You have a very nice idea for her gift.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
This might be a case where you could give her a nice card and explain that you would like to get her a new frame and then either let her tell you what would work for her or take her shopping for one. You have a very nice idea for her gift.
I agree with this advice. Some people like to quilt on a floor frame, others on a frame that they hold in their hands, and others prefer not to use a frame at all. I think it's a very personal decision.
Old 11-22-2022, 03:20 AM

That's a nice idea for someone who likes to hand quilt. I think I'd try to offer her a chance to try different kinds before settling on one. I used to have a wooden one (Nu-Style Quilting Co., probably out of business by now), but when it disintegrated after 20 years, I was gifted a Q-Snap frame made of PVC piping. I was never able to put the quilt in tight enough to suit me. So I went back to hand quilting with a hoop or with nothing. Now I just machine quilt most of the time anyway.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:28 AM

Since you saw the frame and its prior condition, perhaps you've got a head start on how she used it and what to get if she wants to use it that way again.
The space it goes into as a work area is probably a great place to start. When we got a quilting machine and small table, the biggest part was the thousand micro-decisions what & how to let go of to make room. My wife expected it to be the machine, I expected it to be the table -- but it was the enormous weight of all the little choices on things already in the space.