Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt geography >

quilt geography

quilt geography

Old 05-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Interesting question. My thought is that a traditional quilt is northern because of the batting and warmth issues. I do think that quilts or blankets can be used for lots of other things - hang up to provide shade in hot climate areas, pile full of stuff to carry, comfort for a child. The beauty of a quilt, such as in Hawaii, brings out the artist in us. For me, making a quilt is simply answering a need inside myself.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:35 AM

i understand this question - being from the north we always had quilts on our beds. i now live in the south and STILL have quilts on all the beds - year round actually. we use AC in the summer and use them, no AC in the winter but it does get chilly in the winter. we have several in our family room just to keep on hand for while we watch TV - after being in the pool all day we are cool in the evenings and need something to keep us warm.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:14 AM

I am in Phoenix Arizona.
When others are snowed in and quilting we are out and about.
In the summer we quilt while the rest of the nation is out and about.
Even magazines are aimed at the rest of the country, they are planting gardens and having cookouts while here it is 110 degrees.
We just did a week of over 100 and it is the middle of May.
Turned off cooler and raining this week. Muggy, unusual for May.
Monsoon season is Aug and Sept. Hot and humid.
Anyway it gets cold in the winter for a couple of weeks so quilts are usefull during the winter. It can get into the 30's once in awhile but most of the winter months are in the 60 and 70's.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:13 PM

I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and never saw a quilt in person until I came to NY. The funny thing is that my mother must have seen them (on TV or pictures). She didn't have any one to teach her how to do it, and I remember her trying to make something that resembled a quilt. She would sew pieces of fabric together from clothing leftovers and she didn't know that quilts a re layered, therefore her quilts didn't look very pretty upfront. Her seams were exposed on the back and of course, there was no batting. She didn't know about it and we didn't have where to buy it. There were no corners matching, no color values, and no 1/4 inch seams. She invented her own thing and from a distance it looked very nice.

Maria
Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM

I was born and raised in south Florida on the Banks of Lake Okeechobee.I remember HOT,HOT summer nights,before AC, But believe me it gets cold there. We have always had Quilts. Didn't have bought blankets until I got married. I had relatives at Homestead, Miami FL. That is about 3 more hours south, They also had Quilts. I think it is safe to say unless you are from the tropics in another country, everyone had Quilts.
BillsBonBon
Old 05-24-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by cybercat
Are quilts more a Northern thing? I grew up in the tropics and I can not remember every seeing a quilt in person. The only time I saw them was when we went on vaction to the Carolinas or on TV.

I was just doing some reading on another site when someone asked about summer quilts. Which made me think that most quilts were made to keep warm in the winter. Since our winters were rather warm I can see why we never used them. Now I can see wheres up North it would be cold enough long enough to be a important item to have. Also concidering how much colder it was back in those days.

So am I correct to assume that quilts were just a Northern thing? Lets use the Carolinas as the deviding line anything North of them I consider Northern.
well i live in southwest texas and it gets colder than a well digger's behind, was 8 below one time and yes we've always had quilts.