Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt gift for older couple's wedding ideas? >

Quilt gift for older couple's wedding ideas?

Quilt gift for older couple's wedding ideas?

Old 05-20-2022, 05:53 AM

Default Quilt gift for older couple's wedding ideas?

My cousin is getting married. It is a first wedding for both bride and groom. They are in their 60's but have been together for at least 10 years. They don't need or probably want for anything. I thought I would make something for them and would like some suggestions. l don' think a bed quilt will be appreciated. I don't know their style or what the house looks like. I was thinking seasonal table toppers but is that Lame? any other ideas? I do want it to be special in someway, Maybe using a double wedding ring as part of it? Thanks in advance
Mary Ann
Old 05-20-2022, 06:02 AM

Even though they're in their older years, any gift made by you I would think would be appreciated cause it was made and not bought. This means you took the time and effort. You might ask them what their preference is as I've found out the hard way it helps. Maybe lap quilts, matching as you said they are in their 60's and as we age, we seem to get cold easier.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:44 AM

I say ask them so you can be sure your time and efforts will be appreciated. Simply say that you’d like to make them something special and give them some options and go from there. I’d much rather ask someone if they have an interest in something hand crafted, than to give them something that they have no interest in.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:59 AM

I think anything handmade is a worthy gift and I would guess that a 60-something year old couple would greatly appreciate it over something impersonal. However, I'm in the camp of making sure I have an idea of the recipient's style, color and/or taste by asking friends/family. I think it raises the odds that everyone is happier in the end and more important than a "surprise".

As for ideas, I seem to always settle on a cozy lap quilt because it's not permanent and you can never have too many! I just finished a few for (distant) relatives in Oregon and backed them with minky because of their climate.

Look forward to more ideas and seeing what you decide on! I'm sure your handmade gift will be well received whatever it is!
Old 05-20-2022, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tallchick. If you don't want to ask maybe a lap quilt would be nice. The thing about table runners is that not everyone uses them and if you don't know their taste it may not go over well. Certainly not a lame idea though. Good luck! I think it's awesome that they found each other.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:01 AM

I made lap quilts out of scrap flannel, nothing special for my brother and his wife. I don't know how many times they have told me that they have only one problem with those lap quilts. They will sit down to watch a movie, pull up those lap quilts, and then fall asleep missing most of the movie. I dunno, I take that as sort of a compliment. They are in their late fifties.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:31 PM

How about a Christmas tree skirt, a small wall hanging or table topper, a hanging card holder, or even a pair of stockings or one larger stocking with their last name or first names on the cuff? How about some seasonal placemats?
Old 05-20-2022, 02:18 PM

I agree to nix the placemats or table runners. Could you consider a his and her lap quilt. But I would ask a relative who has been to their house about their decor. Are the furnishings very traditional, or modern. Do they recall the colors used? A lap quilt is always a nice gift for most anyone. A bed quilt would require just the right colors and decor of the bedroom, and what you select might not go.

l for one love lap quilts as they are not so heavy and bulky and just big enough to keep me warm when I need it. If the color doesn't match the room I'm in, pick it up and move to another room. hah!

Last edited by Schill93; 05-20-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 02:12 AM

Do you know if the couple are fans of a certain team or sport? A game day quilt would be fun and you don't have to match their colors.
A seasonal quilt would also work...esp. if the couple has a favorite season. Table toppers are not used by all so a lap quilt would be better in my opinion.

Would you be willing to ask the happy couple to guide you in the right direction on color and type of quilt? They would probably be excited to be a part of the quilt and you would not worry so much if they will like it if you ask for their input.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:42 AM

I think it's best to ask if they would like a quilt, whether it's a throw or wall hanging. I know my husband and I have too much stuff and really need to downsize our "stuff". They will appreciate your offer even if they turn it down. The most requested item I have ever made are placemats out of 2 1/2-inch batik squares. Totally scrappy.