Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: quilt kits

Blog Entries

quilt kits

Has anyone ever paid for quilt kits that are often sold online from Keepsake Quilting, or other sites? For the cost of the fabrics, and pattern which is usually more than I can do, yet want to , are the kits a cheaper way to go, with quality fabrics than if you buy per yard of other simliar fabric choices? Has anyone been disappointed with a kit of any kind, or are they all pretty true to what catalogs often describe? Thanks for your help..

I wish I could help but I have never done a quilt kit. I only buy the patterns because I have too much fun picking out my own fabrics, and I am cheap and never feel like I can spend that much (even though I probably spend more after I buy my own fabric haha!)
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

I think so, got lots of fabrics with mine.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I haven't brought any from Keepsakes but other inline stores such as Clothide. I just recently brought the Lone Star wall hanging from Clothide and thought the pricing wasn't bad. And while at the Houston Quilt Festival, I saw the same quilt kit and the price was just about 2 dollars difference. I have found in my pricing wars for some kits to be more expensive than just buying the pattern and choosing your own fabric. But at least you don't have to get dress and drive!!!
    Carolyn

Blog Entries
    I never have the money to even buy the fabric, with or without kits, but probably will recieve some for holidays, so wanted to see what others thought. I dont have any stash of any kind, so its always exciting for me if I do get a yard of something.. thanks..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
    I wish I could help but I have never done a quilt kit. I only buy the patterns because I have too much fun picking out my own fabrics, and I am cheap and never feel like I can spend that much (even though I probably spend more after I buy my own fabric haha!)

Blog Entries
    Jingle, is there any one place where you can say you like to purchase from if it is online? I have looked at several places, and types, so was curious what others might like from whichever company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I think so, got lots of fabrics with mine.

Blog Entries
    many kits are quite a bit more expensive than buying yardage---you are paying for the convienience of having all of the correct amounts of fabrics chosen for you.
    if you have problems choosing your fabrics- don't want to buy yardage- or just love a quilt as it is exactly on the package- you will pay for it- but it can solve all of those issues.
    if you prefer to choose your own fabrics, want to build a stash- and love a pattern- but not necessarily the color way it is in you will save $$ by buying yardage....i've seen quilt kits that were over $200===bought the pattern- chose fabrics and made it for $50
    but then i've bought kits that were exactly what someone wanted- that i could not put together any other way....you will pretty much always pay more for the convienience of a kit being put together .
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    that was what I was thinking, as I love some of the Jinny Beyer stuff but thinking it might be just as fun to choose my own.. Even walmart has some nicer fabrics here in our town ( only store we have that carries yardage without going to the smaller quilt store).. We live 3 hours from any mall, so I dont have much choice to choose from in buying .. thanks for the info...
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    many kits are quite a bit more expensive than buying yardage---you are paying for the convienience of having all of the correct amounts of fabrics chosen for you.
    if you have problems choosing your fabrics- don't want to buy yardage- or just love a quilt as it is exactly on the package- you will pay for it- but it can solve all of those issues.
    if you prefer to choose your own fabrics, want to build a stash- and love a pattern- but not necessarily the color way it is in you will save $$ by buying yardage....i've seen quilt kits that were over $200===bought the pattern- chose fabrics and made it for $50
    but then i've bought kits that were exactly what someone wanted- that i could not put together any other way....you will pretty much always pay more for the convienience of a kit being put together .

I bought a BOM for the Dear Jane quilt. I wouldn't have made it otherwise. It was EXPENSIVE that way, thought. I won't do that again soon. I loved the period type fabrics that came in the kits. If I do another DJ, I will choose my own fabrics.
    http://www.SueLynnDesigns.blogspot.com/
    http://www.tangledthreads-beads.blogspot.com

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    I used to and still occasionally buy them especially if there are many fabrics involved. Buying yardage is often more expensive and the fabrics are often difficult to assemble (gathering them all). Haven't been disappointed yet - from hangings to bed quilts!

I also found out I could save tons of money buy googling a kit - other vendors may have it way cheaper. There was one BOM that I found I could buy the whole thing at once for 1/2 the price!
    Last edited by Kitsie; 11-19-2011 at 07:41 AM.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

QKO
    Back on the topic of quilt kits - here's a bit of insight from one who makes and sells them...

When we price a kit, we use regular pricing for the amounts we use, i.e. full retail with no discounts. Many, if not most kits have a lot of different fabrics in them, so making a kit requires a large investment in coordinating fabrics that aren't used extensively in the kit. As a buyer of the kit you are getting easy access to small amounts of many different fabrics that may be very difficult to find in one place, if bought separately. You are also only paying for the amounts used in the project, rather than having to buy larger amounts.

Kits can be a good way to buy projects, if purchased with your eyes wide open. So...

Advice when buying kits:

1. Buy from reputable dealers who do the kits all in high-quality fabrics and don't do a lot of substitutions. It isn't uncommon for some stores to use one or two of the name fabrics in their kits, but fill with cheaper non-line fabrics that don't coordinate perfectly. Stay away from those.

2. Buy from dealers who provide generous cuts in their kits. We've noted that a lot of kits, especially manufacturers pre-packaged kits, are cut to the bare minimum amounts needed. If you make a mistake you want a little "wiggle room."

3. Buy from dealers who price their kits fairly. A lot of stores will charge a lot more than normal retail for the fabrics contained in the kit, because there is a lot of labor involved in making the kits, as well as a lot of investment in the myriad of fabrics contained in many kits.

4. Pay close attention, when buying a kit, to what's included in the kit, especially when comparing the same kit across multiple stores. One may look a lot cheaper, but may not, for instance include binding fabric.

5. If you're buying a kit that contains a published pattern or book, is there an option to delete the pattern or book and save the cost of that? This could come in handy if you're making multiple copies of the kit, or already have the book or pattern.

6. Does the store offer extras, like free pre-cut binding strips, additional matching fabric in case you want to expand the quilt, etc?

7. Check to make sure you're not paying for fluff, like fancy packaging that you're just going to throw away. Do you really need for that kit to come in a fancy basket, or a tin container? You are, after all, paying for that container.

8. Check to see if matching backing fabrics are available. Advice is to get these right away if possible, because they may not be available when you finish the top.

I only buy quilts when they are on sale. I deduct 9.00 from price of kit...usually the price of a pattern...and do the math to see how much the fab is per yard to see price per yard. No not a math junkie but this way I KNOW if I'm getting a bargain. Usually order kits from Keepsake or Coltilde.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

I occasionally buy kits, especially table runners from my lqs mainly because they are at a low price point. I then use the pattern to make my own kits. Sometimes, I just am feeling blah and the tablerunner kits are less than $20, so I get my retail therapy through them. Also, check the clearance section of the online stores as they usually will have good deals.

Quote Originally Posted by aneternalpoet View Post
    I never have the money to even buy the fabric, with or without kits, but probably will recieve some for holidays, so wanted to see what others thought. I dont have any stash of any kind, so its always exciting for me if I do get a yard of something.. thanks..
    If you have no stash, a kit would be the way to go. You will end up with extra fabric leftover to start a stash of scraps. You can check the clearance sections of online sites to find quilt kits on sale. Don't forget the kit usually doesn't include the fabric for the backing, or for the binding. You'll need twice the length of the quilt for a backing piece, unless the quilt is less than 44" wide...
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have ordered several quilt kits off Ebay. Some of them are not the best quality fabric but my budget won't allow the highest quality. They are fairly cheap.

I have ordered a couple of quilt kits, mainly McKenna Ryan BOM because I really like the fabric. I like the idea of not having to search everywhere for the fabric. To me it just depends on what project you want to do, it may be just as easy to pick your own fabric if you have a pattern.
    Vicki

Blog Entries
    I have never purchased a kit, so can't give much help there, but I have ordered from Keepsake Quilting before and found them to be very good. The fabrics were all exactly as ordered, good quality, and nicely packaged. I would order from them again in a heartbeat!

Hugs from Alabama!
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 11-22-2011 at 04:51 PM.

I bought a kit from a place in Vermont. I'm sorry I can't remember the name. However, I thought the fabric was very cheap and didn't feel like quality fabric. It was supposed to be cut by laser, yet I thought some pieces were not correct. The fabric ravelled something terrible. Also, when you get a kit where the pieces are already cut, you can't wash the fabric until the quilt if finished. I like the IDEA of the kit with the pieces already cut, cuz I have problems cutting fabric, but I don't think I will ever buy a kit like that again. I know nothing about the quilts you get where you just get the fabric in whole pieces and you have to cut them yourself. I would hope they would be very liberal with the fabric, cuz we all make mistakes in cutting!

When the fabrics are just what I want, yes the deal is sweet. But finding fabric on sale and buying the pattern will always be cheaper. I go both ways, mostly finding fabric on sale and creating my own color combos.
    Make A Good Day!
    Janice P. Roy

I am just now putting together a Christmas wallhanging I bought at the Expo this fall. What a disappointment. The pieces that were supposed to be 5/8 of a yard were 1/2; the 1/3 yard pieces were cut 1/4 yard and two pieces of fabric were missing. Yesterday I scouted 5 local quilt stores looking for fabric to match--to no avail. I will never buy a kit at a quilt show without thoroughly checking the contents.

Quote Originally Posted by aneternalpoet View Post
    We live 3 hours from any mall, so I dont have much choice to choose from in buying .. thanks for the info...
    With the internet, that's no longer true. You have the world at your fingertips... and often with free shipping.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

I have purchased from Keepsake and their kits are wonderful. Ample fabric and great color choices. You do need to measure twice and cut once because you do not have extra yardage for too many miss cuts. Try it for sure with one that you love.
    Linda

Check out Connecting Threads. Their fabric is not priced as high as LQS and the quality seems to be pretty good. Maybe the kits are a little less expensive. When I see something in a store that I really like I like to buy the kit for it but I agree they are usually more money than buying the pattern and picking out your fabric.
    Lorraine

I've never bought a quilt kit. I prefer to choose my own fabric for a quilt.
    I think the cost would be higher because you pay for someone to put the kit together.
    Buying yardage for a quilt allows you to choose the fabrics, and have leftover fabric for your stash.

I have bought several kits and you kind of have to figure out the math. Sometimes I want exactly the way it is printed in the picture so I got to buy that fabric. When I figure out a yard here a yard there and the kit works out about the same, I just buy it. I have never had a problem with quantity of fabric and quality is just what it would have been with the same fabric. If I just like the pattern and don't care quite as much about the actual fabric, I buy the pattern and do my own thing. Also watch those Connecting Thread and other clearance sales - great deals on kits.
    Last edited by DixieLee; 11-20-2011 at 06:53 AM. Reason: new thought

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast