Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Kits >

Quilt Kits

Quilt Kits

Old 02-24-2017, 07:55 AM

I recently received a kit as a gift. It was a Storm at Sea with 24 fabrics! All were pre-cut by laser. The smallest cuts of fabric I would have been able to buy is 1/8 yard for each. So for about $50 that was a great buy! And while not truly "easy" it sure went together nicely!

Its also very good for beginning quilters to learn some of the basics. That said, I haven't made up a kit for years but did enjoy it!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:42 AM

I purchase kits all the time and I also take patterns and fabric lines I like and also make my own kits for later use. I actually don't have a fabric stash because I seldom buy fabric just to buy I usually find something I like I make a kit of it
Old 02-24-2017, 09:50 AM

I'm working on a Star Wars quilt for my Grandson from a kit I purchased at Keepsake Quilting. I'm finding generous fabric yardage. Clear instructions. Hoping to be done by next week. The kit didn't seem to be offered by anyone else. Every piece is Star Wars fabric. The GS can hardly wait until I'm done.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:59 AM

It is an easy 10 inch finished block. They tell you that you can use 2 1/2" strips which are Jelly Roll width. The center is a finished 6" square and the sides are finished at 2". The block will be squared up to 10 1/2" allowing 1/2 inch for the seams.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:04 AM

I have purchased two kits in my quilting life. Both kits had enough fabric to cover a small oops. As a nervous quilter I found the quilts went together easily and the directions very easy to follow. I would purchase another kit if I happened to see something I liked.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:08 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

A quick story: while attending a class at the Vermont Quilt Show, the teacher asked us what our comfort zone was..... pattern, free form, kit, etc. I was practically last and many before me said they didn't use kits....(almost like cheating). When it was my turn, I said I loved kits cause it was all there and I could just get started. I visit LQS whenever we travel and picking up kits ensures I have the right fabric for the design. Well applause broke out and I was thanked for my Courage to admit that I love kits!!!
So you go for it friend'!!
Old 02-24-2017, 10:15 AM

I love both Keepsake and Connecting threads. Their kits are terrific and if something is missing, not enough fabric, etc. Both of these companies get right to it and send what was missing with a very "sorry" for what was missed. Only happened twice and the fabric is wonderful and it is great quality. I love their sales and extra coupons for wonderful service and great products.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Banned

I've bought many kits from Connecting Threads and they are very generous with the fabrics. A couple years ago I bought all of their monthly mini quilt kits and some of them had enough fabric that I was able to make two tops instead of just the top and a pieced back. I backed all of them with muslin.

Cari
Old 02-24-2017, 11:25 AM

Kits can be a great way to get your quilting mojo back once you have lost it. I like the ones where the fabric is precut, so I can't make any oops cuts. It's important to go thru the list to make certain everything is there before you put it away or start cutting. Label, label, label the components. It's sad to cut up the green when you should have been cutting up the purple. You can guess how I know that. So it was off to the LQS to find substitute fabrics.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:25 PM

I love to buy kits from Connecting Threads because, as others have said, they are extremely generous with the fabric cuts. Many times I've had enough left over to make a small project. Another good resource for kits that I seldom see mentioned here is Shabby Fabrics. Again, they always provide more than enough fabric.