Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Kits >

Quilt Kits

Quilt Kits

Old 02-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

I have bought several kits and have never been disappointed. I am really amazed at some of the craftsy kits ... great fabric and great prices. Must agree with Donna C about Connecting Threads!
Old 02-25-2017, 09:27 PM

I have honestly never bought a kit, so I can't say. I think it depends on how much you love the kit as is.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:25 AM

[QUOTE=Penster;7771210]I am looking to hear from any of you who have purchased a "quilt kit" that comes with a pattern and the fabrics needed to make the quilt. I have found one I adore, but I have never done this before. The website says the pattern is "easy" and it is on sale at Keepsake Quilting. Grandma Mary's Five Patch Quilt Kit...since I have never purchased a Kit before, I am wondering if it is a good idea. Do you get enough fabric? Can you rely on the skill level as described? Are you paying five times more than you would if you just bought everything you needed? (But then how would you know what you needed, as I cannot seem to find the pattern by itself anywhere.)

Would love to hear from those who have purchased a kit as to whether you would recommend this or not. Thanks for your input!![/. YEs yes definitely order the kit if you like it. I have ordered many kits and have been satisfied. Keepsake is very good about helping with questions also and if not enough fabric they will send you what you needOTE]. Happy quilting. Enjoy!!!!
Old 02-26-2017, 06:36 AM

I like to use quilt kits. I'm not good at selecting fabrics so they are perfect for me. I've bought several from Connecting Threads & find that they are very generous with their fabric. They've never shorted me on fabric. Once I cut something the wrong way & then was short on fabric. I called to see if they still had the fabric & could sell me a piece. They supplied me with the size I needed free of charge.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:57 AM

I love kits and have purchased from Keepsake and Connecting Threads. I am working on a kit right now and just finished another from a kit. I like that all the color choices have been made for me. Once I've finished a quilt from a kit I often can make another with my colors because it allows me to see how the colors are chosen.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:28 AM

Many of us prefer to pre-wash or at least pre-wet and dry our fabrics--whether from kits or not. This is one kit that I would NOT pre-wash because different cuts of flannel can have very different shrink rates and pre-washing and drying could distort the cat panel. Instead I would finish the quilt and wash with several colour catchers. The batting and quilting will help stabilize it. Sure wish the panel came in quilting cotton because it is very cute. I just don't do flannel quilts.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:32 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
glad you joined & shared your comment. a member of one of the quilt groups i belong to, buys kits more often than yardage. in fact i don't remember when she last shared a new pile of fabrics with us . she's an experienced quilter, has a wonderful sense of color but says she likes to buy kits because the kit example made up & on display in store is what draws her attention. the print, color etc that the kit has. she says she doesn't think she can do any better in fabric choices than the ones in kit that has attracted her attention & made her want to buy.

and welcome to the Board ..it's a great place to hang!
I buy kits for the exact same reason. I go to stores or shop online, Fat Quarrters, and check out the kits. I look for the quilts that attract me and buy them. I'm always happy with the outcome. I probably have 50 kits in my sewing room right now. I just gave away quite a few to a gal here on the board as I know I'll never get them all done but I still buy more.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:57 AM

I have this pattern, bought off of an internet store Etsy. It's really easy with my fabrics, I have made it 3 times now. I have bought a few kits and there is plenty of fabric to make a quilt with fabric left over, they are usually very generous with fabric. The fabric quality is also very good. I made my Grandma Mary's 5 Patch twice with white and batik fabrics and another with snow and a Moda jelly roll, turned out fabulous. This picture isn't the clearest, but the quilt turned out great.
Attached Thumbnails dscn0980-1-.jpg  
Old 02-26-2017, 09:28 AM

I buy a lot of kits. Generally there is ample fabric. Sometimes it's unclear where to use the fabrics so I get confused when the directions are too vague. What really bugs me is when there's a particularly neat fabric in the kit photo, but a different fabric is substituted. That's happened to me more than once.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:06 AM

I've never used a kit before, so I can't really help... but I did look at the kit you want & the cats are so cute!

What I'm wondering is, am I the only one that noticed the poor ducky has a pair of scissors speared through his head? Guess the designer likes the cats better than the duck lol.