Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Kits? >

Quilt Kits?

Quilt Kits?

Old 08-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Joann's used to sell some precut kits, often as BOM; I bought several on eBay for my sister. However, they haven't done that for years.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:16 PM

Check out the website for Hearthside Quilts now located in Virginia but looks like the company in Vermont that started my quilting addiction many years ago. Precut pieces, many patterns and they even give you a needle and thread. Assuming it is the same company I give them a big recommendation.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:25 PM

Absolutely. I only buy quilt kits that have actually cut the fabric into its varied pieces. My favorite shop for these types of quilt kits is Jordan Fabrics (just type that into your search engine). The fabrics are all known high-quality quilting fabrics (Moda, Kaufman, etc.) and the cuts are absolutely perfect! I've made a log cabin quilt and a (split) rail fence quilt using their precut quilt kits, and I have three more waiting for my to quilt. ALSO, there are amazing how-to videos on this website. You simply cannot go wrong with Jordan Fabrics!

I hope you heal quickly!
Old 08-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I've read that some kits don't even include the pattern, just the fabric. The norm is fabric + pattern. The fabric may consist of mostly pre-cuts (jelly roll, layer cake, etc.) but usually requires further cutting to make the quilt. Hope your arm is better soon.
I have seen a lot of kits without the pattern .....
If you already have the pattern and then decide to make the quilt, why pay for the pattern again?
Also, makes sense, as if you make one kit and want to make another, why pay for a 2nd pattern.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by lscho4jm View Post
For the first time I bought a quilt kit. My right arm is injured (I am right handed) and I thought a quilt kit meant the pieces would come precut for that pattern. The kit arrived with yardage and pattern but I will need to cut it myself.

Was this wrong thinking? Are there different types of kits?
Jordan Fabrics sells precut log cabin kits. They are very accurate.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:55 AM

I have not ever bought a kit, but must endorse Jordan Fabrics? I just recently found the tutes on YouTube and think if I were to buy a kit it would be from that shop! The tutes are great!
Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 AM

There are some kits that are laser cut and all you have to do is sew them together. I think Shabby Fabrics has some
Old 08-21-2017, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Jordan's in Oregon https://jordanfabrics.com/ has precut block sets. Her fabrics are quilt shop quality and laser cut, so the cut is very precise.

There is a lady on Ebay cabe6677 who sells precut fabric kits. I have bought several but don't really like sewing block pieces that still have the selvedge on them so I haven't bought from her lately. Her cuts are pretty good. I like making HSTs with squares of fabric and hers are always triangles. I have to watch the bias with her cuts. She is reasonable.
I have bought from Jordan's and agree that cutting is precise and fabric of very good quality. Sometimes I have bought a kit that has been on sale just for the fabric.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

I agree. they have great tutorials. Only problem with the tutorials is her machines are so noisy. like needs to be oiled and /or lubed or both. But still great tutorials.
Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I have not ever bought a kit, but must endorse Jordan Fabrics? I just recently found the tutes on YouTube and think if I were to buy a kit it would be from that shop! The tutes are great!
Old 08-21-2017, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I've only bought one kit, and I had to cut the pieces myself. I think the ones that are already cut, usually say it somewhere in the ad.