Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt Label Question

Blog Entries

Quilt Label Question

What do you include on your quilt label if you have been commissioned to make a quilt for a friend who will gift it to her niece's new baby?
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

I have done a couple of commissioned quilts and I put: to and from (auntie to grand niece), month/year completed, city/state where auntie is, then under that (in smaller font or lettering) who constructed and quilted, and, if you are in a different geographical area then the giver or recipient your location. All this info gives the quilt history and provenance for later years. For one woman that I made a baby quilt for she had me also add some sentiment - I don't remember exactly what it was other then it was sweet and something to do with being her first baby.
    Lynne

I would probably want to wait until after the baby was born to include the birth date of the baby. I'd probably include something like: Tumbling Baby BLocks, Made in honor of the birth of Baby Blue, born on 0/0/0000, son/daughter of Momma Mary (b 4/8/2222) and Daddy Donny (b 4/7/8888). Given by momma's Auntie Em, made & quilted by Your name, Peaceful, PA , completion date.

I try to include as much of the history as possible...
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Banned
    Excellent question! I sometimes struggle with what to put on a label when I'm making it for someone else to gift to yet another person. The responses have helped me enormously - so thanks to both OP & responders!

I agree with all the previous suggestions

As another thought ... please involve the one who has commissioned you in the label decisions. Perhaps s/he/they want a special saying/quote added? Does she want Aunt or Auntie, or just her name? .... and so on! Your info is non-negotiable ... the artist always signs their work!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I would turn the whole discussion about the to/from/why/when label over to the person who asked you to make the quilt. I would add a separate label with your name and info as the quilt maker.

Blog Entries
    my labels for basic- i don't know where it's going/who's it for consist of:
    name of quilt,
    fiber content (including batting used)
    care instructions
    my name, date (month/year) and town/state/country i live in.

that is on every label- some labels are made more personal when i know who it's for & why- i add more information- but that is the 'bare basics' for any label i add to a quilt
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy