Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt Label

Quilt Label

How do you sew on your quilt label? Do you machine stitch it on or hand stitch it on ? Do you sew it on the back before or after you FMQ?

Thank you, Marilee

I add my label by hand after the quilt is quilted & bound. Just my personal preference. My quilts are all for loved ones and not for show.

Blog Entries
    I put my label on after quilting but before I bind. That way 2 of the edges are secured by the binding and then I hand stitch the other 2 sides.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    I add my label by hand after the quilt is quilted & bound. Just my personal preference. My quilts are all for loved ones and not for show.
    Yep, me, too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I put my label on after quilting but before I bind. That way 2 of the edges are secured by the binding and then I hand stitch the other 2 sides.
    this is the way i do it also
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I embroider mine on the backing before sandwiching and quilting

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    ditto that ... when I remember Otherwise the whole label is hand stitched to the back
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I like making mine part of the backing. I got the idea from here
    http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/2011/05...uilt-back.html

for wall quilts/hangings I fuse the label on after binding and everything is done. For larger ones, I agree with those who stitch it into the binding. I've started using a triangle instead of a square - cut a large square, fold it in half diagonally to form a triangle, and stitch it into the binding with raw edges matching. That leaves only one side - the folded side - to stitch by hand.
    Kate

I put it on after I FMQ.

If it is a bed quilt, I machine sew it with a thread that I hope will 'hide' on the front.
    For show quilts, I machine sew it into the border, and then hand sew it to the inside of the quilt (my hand sewing sucks, so I try to minimize that part...)

I used to hand stitch them onto the back, preferably in conjunction with the binding. But... it's been a long time since I put a label on a quilt.

I hand stitch them on after all else is done. That way I can take maximum time to determine what to put on them!!

I usually place my label in a lower corner, so I do an extra step, and "bind" the label on the top and one side. Then I sew the other two sides of the label onto the quilt while I'm sewing on the binding. I hand sew down the "bound sides of the label when I am sewing down the binding.

Also, if you know you are going to need a hanging sleeve on your quilt, sew the sleeve in while you are sewing on the binding, then sew the binding down on top of the edge of the sleeve. That way, you only have to sew one edge of the sleeve down by hand instead of both.

I stitch mine in on 2 sides while doing binding then hand stitch the other 2 sides by hand
    Sheena

Thank you so much for your answers. I have an embroidery machine now so I'd like to put my labels on my quilts. When I first started quilting I would use a marking pen & handwrite on the back of the quilt. I had gotten away from quilting & have started to do it again.
    Thanks again for all your tips,
    Marilee