Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the quilt label??? >

the quilt label???

the quilt label???

Old 10-21-2010, 06:52 PM

Veterans, could you comment on your quilt labels? Is there a "traditional" location for the label? What do you always include? Is it embroidered or can one use the ink pens for quilting? Is a regular "permanent" sharp-point marker ok to use? hmmm If I've left something out, please comment anyway?
Thank you!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 PM

I almost always place my label on the right hand side, bottom, on the back of the quilt. Is that as clear as mud!! I have done both types of labels, embrodered and with cloth markers ( usually usearchival ink ). I include the date the person it is going to , who it was made and quilted by ( me ), and usually the reason for the giving.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

I don't think there are any rules for how you make your label... no quilt/label police here :D:D:D
I put mine on the lower right corner too... don't know why though LOL
Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 PM

I always did lower right. I am re-thinking that.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:09 PM

You can put a quilt label anywhere on the front or back, I guess the most common place is a lower back corner. I include quilt name, who it is for, made by, and the date always and then feel free to add any additional info. A number of different ways to "write" the label can be used however a sharpie or other permanent marker normally used for paper is not the best to use for your label. It will sometimes bleed and eventually fade when washed. There are pens made to write on fabric, one being the Pigma pen. I'm sure others will chime in on what they use--in the end it is mainly up to you what you include and how it is written.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:09 PM

I have a friend who has been quilting forever, or so... she always uses a permanent pen to write her name on the quilt backing and then places the label over her name. That way if something happens "unexpected", it will always have a way home. Also, Alex Anderson suggested tucking some extra fabric from the quilt in behind the label in case of repairs need.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:22 PM
bj

Since my quilts have always gone to family or close friends, I don't put a label. I just put bj and the year in the lower right corner of the border, on the back.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 PM

I place my label in the back left hand corner. I think it is a personal choice because I am left-handed.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:31 PM

I put mine in the lower-right-back corner, and I embroider the info by hand. It looks a little basic, but for some reason I prefer it to a pen. I have a very old sewing machine that doesn't do embroidered letters!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:32 PM

I guess I'm a little different than most quilters. I put my label on the front, bottom right hand corner. That's where most artists sign their paintings so that's where I label my quilts.