Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt Labels

Quilt Labels

How do you all make quilt labels for your quilts? I use a Mac computer. I have a really old HP quilt label program but it is not supported by Apple. I haven't been able to find a newer one that works with apple. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Pati

I have a bunch of fabric labels that I write on w/ a black sharpie marker. Sometimes I have made a label out of coordinating fabric....I don't use a computer - I don't like a papery label on a fabric project..
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    I have Sewnsewer2 here on QB make mine!!! Embroidered and fair price!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

i cross stitch them.

quilts usually find their names as i go along, so i use that, my name, completion date and sometimes something else; a picture or something cute.

isolde

I use my HV,SE...and embroider them and make them like "patches" and then hand stitch them on.
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

I have handwritten them in Sharpie on a piece of coordinating fabric, or a small quilt square. I have also printed them on fabric and then hand sewn them to the quilt. I have to admit, though, that I'm not very good about putting a label on every quilt.... I know, I know!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I usually design the label in EQ7 and then print it onto fabric. With EQ it's easy to print blocks on the label (as a border usually) that match the blocks on the quilt. I can also download photos into the label, so it's very personalized.

Becca - using the printer to print on fabric doesn't give you a papery label at all.

I have used this printed off and then added my information with a permenate marker. Quilt Labels.com
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    DITTO--she's the best and her labels are beautiful.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

I bought a little book a long time ago that has different quilt labels that you color and fill in the information. I also have some that came from a yard of fabric that was full of labels. However, I have also done them through the computer, and then gone over the print with a pigma pen. I've also gotten clip art that I like and make a frame, add the text to the center, and usually print it out on paper. Then I use my light box to put it on fabric. I have used a variety of pigma pens, gel pens-gelli roll, and ones that are not metallic. I usually paint them with pigment ink, iron and then attach to the back of the quilt.

If it is an applique quilt I make a small flower, or animal and then put the writing on the fabric with it. Another possibility is to make one of the blocks, outline, miniaturize it then paint with pigma ink pens.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I totally agree. Labels are fantastic and great communication.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I spent the weekend with my son and daughter-in-law and granddaughter and we talked about the quilts I gave them and the quilts her mother gave them. They didn't know who gave them which ones. Neither of us labeled them. I need to make up some labels with fusible backing and go visit them and iron them onto the back of my quilts and then hand sew them in place. I never even thought about labels. Now I understand the importance of them.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I've read some tutorials on the spoonflower labels. I think that's a neat option.

I just write with Pigma Micron Pens on plain muslin, then blind stitch to the back of the quilt. Sometimes I write right on the quilt back if it is light colored.

HMK
    Labels are important. When I first started quilting I did a queen size and sent it to a quilter to do the quilting. When my son & his wife divorced, they didn't remember my making it and giving it to them - it had no label - (shows how important it was to them, I guess.) I'm sure it got stuck in a cupboard and forgotten after I gave it to them. Anyway, in the course of splitting up, I have a feeling it went to the thrift shop as it's not been seen at my son's and when I asked about it, a glazed look came over him and that told me he didn't know I had made it cause I've made others for him and he lovingly displays them and comments on them.

Thank you for all the great ideas. How do I see the labels that Sewnsewer2 makes? Does she have an online shop, like Etsy or Ebay?

thanks again for all your wonderful ideas.

Pati

Now that I have a Bernina 440 with embroidery, I embroider my labels, including a small motif to coordinate with the quilt theme. Before that, I printed them on my computer on fabric sheets that have paper backing. I don't have any specific label program - I just used Word and incorporated pictures, ect. along with my information. I label all my quilts except small things like table runners.

Ditto and the labels she made for me were just beautiful and reasonably priced!
    Last edited by AUQuilter; 06-05-2012 at 11:09 AM.

It varies. My favorite way is to make a small block that matches something in the top. My Bernina embroiders basic block alphabet letters so sometimes I use that, other times I hand embroider or write using a permanent pen like micron pigma or sharpie.

I also have some fabric labels, they were sold like panels only they were labels and would do the same.

I then applique it on the back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I have used sewnsewer2 as well. Very fair price. Nice work.

I embroider them and now I hand sew them on. I used to just put it on the back of the quilt and quilt over it but I really don't like how that looks. So, I add them by hand afterward. I consider hand a 4 letter word. So, I have found that my labels are much smaller now that I do them by hand.

I use the computer to type in the information (e.g., pattern, my name, quilter, if I sent it out for quilting, recipient, and date. I include my city and state. If all of the fabric is from a particular line, I include that information. I add clip art to finish the label. Yesterday, I finished a quilt for a friend. The quilt had lots of pink roses so I put pink roses on the label. In May, I made a quilt for my granddaughter's birthday. Her label had a birthday cake and balloons. In April, I pieced a quilt top on my featherweight. I put a picture of an antique sewing machine and sewing notions on that label. I love my labels with the clip art. I print them on fabric for the printer then hand stitch them to the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I have a bunch of fabric labels that I write on w/ a black sharpie marker. Sometimes I have made a label out of coordinating fabric....I don't use a computer - I don't like a papery label on a fabric project..
    I was just thinking about this this afternoon. I used to do that but even using a special marker, they washed out over time. My DD has a quilt that I made her eons ago that now has a blank label on the back of it. It used to have info on it, but now? Just the design that was screen printed on it. Oops. Now I have mine made by someone who embroiders them.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

If you do want to do them yourself, here is a good site for them ---> http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co...uiltlabels.htm
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I write directly on the backing with a pigma pen. I heard a woman on a bus telling somebody that she had been given a quilt and that she took off the quilt label. She saved the name of the quilt... and then put her own name on it! How crappy is that? I used to cross stitch them, or occasionally write the information neatly on a scrap and then put it on the back. Most of my quilts go to family members, so I am not worried about having anybody take the labels off, but...

Anita in Northfield, MN

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast