Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt labels >

Quilt labels

Quilt labels

Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 AM

Default Quilt labels

I've made 2 quilts so far (both baby quilts) and I didn't label them. I joined a quilt guild yesterday and the first thing they suggested is labeling my quilts before I give them. But I forgot to ask how I attach the label to the quilt. Both quilts are quilted and binded already.

I'm going to try to use the freezer paper to make a label on my computer...but what do you suggest for adhering them to the quilts? Both in this instance where they are already bound...and for future projects.

Thank you!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 AM

If my quilt is already bound, I will "bind' the label and the stitch it down by hand on the back. If I haven't stitched the binding down yet, I'll 'bind' the label on two sides and catch the other two sides in my quilt binding, stitching the remaining two sides down by hand.
Another to skip the 'binding' on the label, you can fold a square in half along the diagonal -- catch the raw edges in the binding and the just stitch across the fold.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 AM

i make mine using fine tip fabric marker - following instructions for marker brand - on muslin - then sew the label on the back by hand. you can trace all kinds of pictures - add color - personalize the message - whatever you like. there are books with iron on patterns - but all the ones i've seen call for poly-cotton blends iron onto....which i don't have. The label is the last thing i put on the quilt - so quilted and bound is not a problem.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

There are fabrics that are pre printed labels, like a panel, you can use. I have written on them with a Micron Pigma pen (make sure you heat set it!), I have hand embroidered labels and I have used the block alphabet in my machine to machine embroider them. I have used orphan blocks as labels as well. Again, writing on them with a permanent fabric marker or embroidering them. I have seen some make absolutely beautiful lables with embroidery machines.

Like PenniF, the label is the very last thing I do. When applying them I always turn the raw edges under and hand applique them to the back being careful not let any of my applque stitches come through to the front.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 PM

This weekend I bought novelty fabric that is made up of labels. Very cool! I will use my Sharpie to write whatever goes on the label (name, year, quilter if different from piecer, etc).
Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 PM

I didn't want to handwrite anything on the label. I made the label using MS Word and printed it on the fabric using my home printer (ironed freezer paper to the fabric to send through the printer) I cut it out with pinking shears so the raw edges are decorative. Can I heat bond it to the quilt? Or should I stitch it on?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
This weekend I bought novelty fabric that is made up of labels. Very cool! I will use my Sharpie to write whatever goes on the label (name, year, quilter if different from piecer, etc).
May I suggest you don't use a sharpie, as they tend to bleed badly....use a Pigma pen. Can find in the scrapebooking department....
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Justamom410 View Post
I didn't want to handwrite anything on the label. I made the label using MS Word and printed it on the fabric using my home printer (ironed freezer paper to the fabric to send through the printer) I cut it out with pinking shears so the raw edges are decorative. Can I heat bond it to the quilt? Or should I stitch it on?
heat and bond heavy will work just fine....make sure you heat set the label first otherwise it will smear like crazy.
If my memory serves me correctly, print, let dry an hour, rinse in cool water, allow to dry then run a dry iron over label....
Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Justamom410 View Post
I have never had much luck with heat and bond lasting through a bunch of washes. If it were my quilt and I expected in to get in the laundry, I would stitch it down.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM

I print labels on my Epson printer with durabrite ink and then sew them on the back.