Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Labels >

Quilt Labels

Quilt Labels

Old 01-17-2021, 10:16 PM

Default Quilt Labels

I am working on a baby quilt and want to add a corner triangle label to the back. I know I could incorporate the label in the binding and then hand sew the hypotenuse (yeah, I知 a math geek). However, my hand sewing skills are awful. So I saw where someone said I could machine sew the whole label before quilting. But, if I知 supposed to have a few inches of the backing longer/wider than the top before quilting, how will I know where to place the label? Or, should I go ahead and trim my backing to the same size of my quilt then sew on the label? I hope this makes sense. Please help!
Old 01-18-2021, 05:29 AM

I always make corner triangle labels and wait until after I've quilted the entire quilt, squared-up/trimmed all edges and am ready to sew on my binding. Then I use clover clips to hold the label in place at the bottom corner edge and sew in while sewing down my binding to the back of the quilt. Hope that makes sense! Works like a charm for me every time!

By the way, Welcome to the Quilting Board! Many, many wonderful folks here ready to share their ideas with you!
Old 01-18-2021, 07:56 AM

Welcome to the board. Your label can be placed wherever you like, maybe consider setting it at an angle just down from the centre? I would not trim the backing until after the top was quilted.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:05 PM

I use a corner label that is attached after squaring the corner and before binding. The two sides are attached with the binding. I do not usually sew the hypotenuse down to the quilt.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:29 PM

If you are quilting by check (sending it out to be quilted) do NOT trim the backing to be the same size as the top! Let your longarmer know, tell her what you're planning and ask for her help in placing the label where you want it. The lines of communication are clear and he/she will be able to advise you and also plan his/her work.
If you plan on quilting it yourself - since you will be able to see the stitching on both sides of your backing fabric, when you line up the batting and backing, you should be able to peek and make sure it will line up correctly.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. 👋Quilt the quilt and square it up for binding. For your label, use a square that you fold in half to make a triangle. You can iron the square/triangle fold crease and then open the square. Place the square into the corner with the top half open and run a row of hand stitches along the crease. It won’t matter what your stitches look like because you will fold the other half triangle down to the corner and it will cover the stitching. You can sew the binding on, sewing in the two sides of the label and finish.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:16 AM

I watch Kimberly Jolly from Fat Quarter Shop and she has sew in labels she adds to each of her quilts. She adds them in different areas of her quilts but they always look nice.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:32 AM

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. 👋Quilt the quilt and square it up for binding. For your label, use a square that you fold in half to make a triangle. You can iron the square/triangle fold crease and then open the square. Place the square into the corner with the top half open and run a row of hand stitches along the crease. It won稚 matter what your stitches look like because you will fold the other half triangle down to the corner and it will cover the stitching. You can sew the binding on, sewing in the two sides of the label and finish.
Tartan, I never even thought of this idea. Love it. Now I won稚 have to do scary hidden stitches but can do my scary stitching and it値l be hidden! Thank you and everyone else for their awesome ideas!
Old 01-20-2021, 03:03 AM

Lightbulb Thank you for the tip !

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. 👋Quilt the quilt and square it up for binding. For your label, use a square that you fold in half to make a triangle. You can iron the square/triangle fold crease and then open the square. Place the square into the corner with the top half open and run a row of hand stitches along the crease. It won稚 matter what your stitches look like because you will fold the other half triangle down to the corner and it will cover the stitching. You can sew the binding on, sewing in the two sides of the label and finish.
I have done the corner labels but have never thought about running a row of hand stitches along the crease. Genius! Thanks!