Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Labels-What is the best way to do this? >

Quilt Labels-What is the best way to do this?

Quilt Labels-What is the best way to do this?

Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca
i write on a cotton fabric w/ a sharpie permanent marker...Then hand sew the label on to the back. I put more of the history of where the quilt came from and who it was made by and the relationship (if any) to me (the quilter)
I do this, too. I include the name of the quilt, my name, the year completed, and the size. Then, if there's anything else I want to include, I add it to the bottom of my label.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 PM

Good idea. I have only finished 2 quilts so far so i am always looking for advise and ideas. Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 05:31 PM

I generally plan out the words that I'll be hand printing on the label, even print on a sample size paper, to get the layout right. Then cut a piece of muslin 1/2" larger than sample paper. Draw lines w/ a Sharpie marker on the paper side of freezer paper, cut 1/2" smaller than muslin. These lines will show thru for guide lines so hand printing will be straight. Then iron the freezer paper to the wrong side of your muslin. Use a marker meant to write on fabric (Pigma or Zig), is what I've used. Hold muslin up to a sunny window and print your words on the muslin. You'll be able to see the lines thru the muslin to keep your words on a straight line (if that's what you want). Remove the freezer paper. When done, I always sew strips from the quilt to the outer edges of the label, turn under the edges and hand sew in place, usually in the middle or bottom right corner. I always include the title of the quilt, my name, date it was finished, my city and state, who it was made for and why. You can also add any other info. you desire.

I've also read on here to sew the label on before you do the machine quilting, so the label can't be removed easily. I have not done this however.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 PM

If this is a quilt that will be washed, a Sharpie marker is not permanent, even tho it says it is. I think it might be permanent on paper but not on fabric that gets laundered. Also check the textile marker you use, it might need to be heat set after you use it, to make it permanent.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Banned

markers NOR ink jet printing is guarantee that it will still be there after a washing or two..

See if you can pay some one with an emb machine to make you some labels!

If not, they spend the winter making some by hand...or just make a siggy block that you can put into the quilts...and hand embroider them. DOes not have to be anything fancy. The best thing to give the recipient is a pix of them and you with the quilt so they can save it in a scrapbook.
I have even made a little scrap book that contained pages that had snips of the fabrics I used, why I chose that pattern, how long it took to make etc, so they had the real history of it!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:11 PM

I still consider myself a newbie to quilting, but the labels I use are made on my Janome 6600----I just use the lettering mode and make a label on muslin with a border that matches my quilt. Then I hand sew the completed label on the back of my quilt. One of my quilts---the first machine quilted one I made myself-----I machine-wrote the info on the muslin---what a hoot that was :) I do believe that you should ALWAYS label your quilts. The labeling is the last thing I do on my quilt---then I am done :) Have fun with your labels.....
Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Banned

another note. If you are putting a label on a quilt for entry in a show or fair, be sure you know in advance what the rules are for placement, size, etc.

for show you NEVER want to sew your label into the binding seam...
Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 PM

Machine embroidery, hand embroidery, handwritten with fabric safe marker....doesn't matter which...JUST DO IT!!!! I am a huge advocate of labeling your quilts. And PLEASE don't just use a nickname like Memaw or Grannie. I suggest you put the name of the quilt, made by, the date...at least the month & year and your location. Just remember this, have you ever seen a quilt in an antique store, flea market, cousins house & wondered "who made that & where".
Example: "Starbrite" made by "Grammie" -Jane Doe- of Anywhere, Anystate, USA in January 2011. for granddaugher Jena Doe.
I have one my Nannie made that only says "Nannie 1977" I am working on a label to add to it explaining who Nannie was...because my grandchildren never had the privilege of knowing her and someday one of them will inherit this quilt and I want them to know who Nannie was.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 PM

Oh...I just remembered a tip from a guild meeting a few months back. Someone suggested taking a photo of the quilt with the maker and including that in the label. What a great idea.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 PM

There is a product called "Bubble jet" that you use to treat your label fabric with, it then allows you to run your fabric through your printer and it will be permanant. I haven't tried it yet, I tried ironing my fabric onto freezer paper and running it through the printer (that part worked great) then I ironed it, to heat set it, but decided to wet it before sewing it on the quilt, good thing, because it all washed away. Bubble jet is about $18.00 for a quart size bottle. Seems expensive, but I think you only use a tiny amount.