Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt Ladder

Quilt Ladder

Several years ago my sister said she saw a ladder for displaying quilts. It looked like it was just one side of a regular ladder that leaned against the wall. The rungs on the ladder were used for displaying quilts. Anyone heard of this?

oh yes! There was a thread on here a week or so back about using a rung ladder to display quilts. There was a concern about the wood of the rungs leaving a mark on the quilts.

perhaps you can warp that grippy shelf stuff on the rungs not only will it protect the quilt from rungs it won't slide off just a suggestion.....................

Blog Entries
    I've seen orchard ladders or barn ladders used to display quilts. These ladders are only one sided. http://nachomamasquilt.com/2010/09/26/orchard-ladder/
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

They are great for displaying your quilts!! My husband made one for me and one for my daughter.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I was at a house the other day and the owners had put it on market. They couldn't part with the children's metal crib so they took it apart and used the rail to hang quilts on.

There are a lot of ladder type things to display quilts on. I would use a new one and not worry about anything getting on the quilts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    There are a lot of ladder type things to display quilts on. I would use a new one and not worry about anything getting on the quilts.
    New isn't the issue. Most rung ladders are made of wood which can leech out acids over time that can damage textiles. This is a big reason it is recommended to store quilts or wedding gowns in acid free paper. You want to have a barrier between the surface of the ladder and the quilt just to be sure. I think these acids can even leech through finished surfaces (painted, sealed, etc) but am not positive. I do love the look of using a ladder to display quilts but I would rotate them often or somehow prevent the rungs and side rails of the ladder from coming into direct contact with the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    New isn't the issue. Most rung ladders are made of wood which can leech out acids over time that can damage textiles. This is a big reason it is recommended to store quilts or wedding gowns in acid free paper. You want to have a barrier between the surface of the ladder and the quilt just to be sure. I think these acids can even leech through finished surfaces (painted, sealed, etc) but am not positive. I do love the look of using a ladder to display quilts but I would rotate them often or somehow prevent the rungs and side rails of the ladder from coming into direct contact with the quilt.
    I haven't seen these is some time, but you used to be able to buy plastic covers for shower curtain rods. They had a split in the plastic and fit right over the rod. Wonder if they might fit a ladder rung too.

I have my Grandfather's old ladder--it's over 100 years old. DH cleaned it and sealed it (leaving the old paint and stains on it). I fold acid free paper on the rungs and just drape the quilts over the paper. I haven't noticed any staining or marks on the paper so I assume my quilts are protected. I also have an old bunk-bed ladder for small quilts or wall hangings and I have the same paper on those rungs.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
    I haven't seen these is some time, but you used to be able to buy plastic covers for shower curtain rods. They had a split in the plastic and fit right over the rod. Wonder if they might fit a ladder rung too.
    I was thinking you could do this with a pool noodle, also.

Blog Entries
    Here's some visual inspiration for you.

http://pinterest.com/mugglemumma/quilt-ladders/

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Here's some visual inspiration for you.

http://pinterest.com/mugglemumma/quilt-ladders/
    Thank you! I was just about to go there with a search. Beat me to it!

I have seen several used this way in homes and shops.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

If you're interested in actually building one, just Google "Quilt Ladder plans." There are multiple sites that have free patterns and purchased patterns available. I even found one to make with fallen limbs. Also saw an article where one person said she used her grandfather's old ladder and another person said she used an old bunk bed ladder.
    Karen in Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
    I would still cover them with fabric but I'll bet you could split open pool noodles to put over the rungs. That would also cause less of a crease in the quilts.

Also, someone on this board posted a few months ago about an Ikea Hack her husband did for a quilt ladder.
    Last edited by sparkys_mom; 07-10-2013 at 04:00 AM.
    Pat

Yes to teddysmom==about 2 yrs ago there was a discussion re ladders. I was impressed and even got one from hubbys old friend. It is still in garage because I can't find a place for it against the wall . My plan was to turn it sideways as I found that unusual. In a hallway would be nice. Have to rethink. Sorry I didn't bookmark that site.

Love the ladders

Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
    Several years ago my sister said she saw a ladder for displaying quilts. It looked like it was just one side of a regular ladder that leaned against the wall. The rungs on the ladder were used for displaying quilts. Anyone heard of this?
    My son used to make the quilt ladders to sell. They were 16" wide and 18" wide and I am fortunate enough to have three of them. If I had room I would have more. They are great for displaying your quilts and I change the quilts on the ladders for each season and/or holiday. We have a log home and the ladders are in our living room where they can be seen. I have not had a problem with 'leeching' but I might go ahead and line the rungs with acid-free tissue as suggested in this conversation.

Power Poster
    I have an old ladder that I use for quilts. My sister gave it to me many years ago. I use to use it to display vintage tablecloths.

I display my quilts on a genuine antique apple ladder. Clean the rungs and side rails well. In order to protect the quilt where it comes in contact with the ladder, I get a shower curtain cover at Walmart, Kmart, of the hardware store, and cut it to fit each rung. It works well, and you don't even know it's there when the quilt is covering it.

I use an old ladder to display some antique quilt I have. When I think of it, I rearrange the quilts and have not noticed any marks from the wood. I really like this way of displaying some of the quilts I have! Good luck!
    Lori McC

Does the part of the ladder rail that is the part that leans and touches the wallpaper or painted wall, also have to be covered to keep the wood stain or paint from ruining the wall? I want to be able to sell my home in the future.
    Carol

Quote Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
    Does the part of the ladder rail that is the part that leans and touches the wallpaper or painted wall, also have to be covered to keep the wood stain or paint from ruining the wall? I want to be able to sell my home in the future.
    Carol,
    I think it depends on the ladder. I have not had a problem with this either.
    Lori
    Lori McC

Blog Entries
    I like the crib sides idea...I have a wooden crib in the attic

The plastic covers for shower curtains??? Haven't seen them for a while either, but they do make hollow tubes for covering exposed electrical wires....basically same thing---and they would prevent the wood from leaching onto fabric.
    You might have to go to a lighting store to find these, but I remember that they are not that expensive and that they come in white.
    You could check a hardware store if you have the "old fashioned" one that carries everything. These stores are few and far between but a treasure if you can still find one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast