Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Magazines >

Quilt Magazines

Quilt Magazines

Old 06-09-2011, 05:20 PM

Do you read a quilt magazine? Which one(s) do you like?

Do you get a little annoyed when you see a magazine that you subscribe to on the magazine rack with some goodies (like a cd or extra patterns)? (I do)
Old 06-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

I used to get several, then slowly stopped. I recently subscribed to Fons & Porter and I like it so far.
I bought a few at Barnes & Noble the other night and one had a cd in it. I believe it was Quilter's Newsletter.
But overall I don't get very many anymore.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:34 PM

I have found that I like having a few books and individual quilt patterns that I specifically buy. I got rid of my quilting magazines (donated them) and kept just a few patterns from them. I don't buy the magazines anymore.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:16 PM

My daughter & I probably subscribe to most of them. I look forward to getting them each (or every other) month. A lot of the information is very helpful. We use post-it notes sticking out the top for patterns we like. Of course, I'll never in my lifetime make all the ones I like! :lol:

Periodically, we pass along the ones we don't want to keep. A friend of my DD at work has tons of magazines. Occasionally she passes them along to others, who then pass them along again adding their own to the stack. I recently got 2 shopping bags of old magazines! Everyone tears out the patterns they want to keep, so by the time I get them, some patterns are gone. But I still enjoy looking.

Like I said, I'll never in my lifetime make all the quilts I want to. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Call me obstinate, or call me a non-conformist. Why would I want to subscribe to a magazine I can view for free online? If I really want a pattern that is not free, I can always purchase it through the magazine link.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

For a while I took 5 or 6, but now I only subscribe to Quilters Newsletter Magazine, and I get the magazine that comes with the American Quilter's Society membership. I just wasn't finding that much of interest in the other magazines.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:40 PM

Several people have given me subscriptions. I enjoy them and then, how do I get rid of them? I have tried donating, libraries, guilds, etc. No one wants them. Right now, I have about 30 or more I would like to find a home for. They are good reading and have many good patterns. No one will take them.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:44 PM

I love looking through magazines but I am very cautious about buying too many. I have subscribed to the digital version of Quilters World. There is always something in that magazine I love. And a lot cheaper digitally than the actual mag shipped to Canada.
Maureen
Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Several people have given me subscriptions. I enjoy them and then, how do I get rid of them? I have tried donating, libraries, guilds, etc. No one wants them. Right now, I have about 30 or more I would like to find a home for. They are good reading and have many good patterns. No one will take them.
Have you tried contacting your local Senior Services Center or nursing/assisted living homes?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:02 PM

I've subscribed to several in the past, but my interest has slowly petered out as my skill level improves. There are several overseas magazines I'd LOVE to subscribe to, but they are very expensive. I love Quilt Mania (they have several versions - France, Japan, Australia), Australian Homespun, Australian Patchwork and Quilting. If somebody put out a magazine that was nothing but Yoko Saito's work, I'd subscribe to THAT in a heartbeat, no matter what the cost! Her work is like NOTHING you see here in the States.