Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt magazines >

Quilt magazines

Quilt magazines

Old 12-03-2014, 05:49 AM

I recently gave mine to my LQS. She puts them out for customers to take.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:58 AM

Anybody remember making paper beads as a kid? I was thinking about this thread last night and it occurred to me that quilting magazines would probably make great paper beads, with all the bright colors. Maybe I'll save a few to do that with my little niece next time her family visits.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:03 AM

Quilt guild, senior center or thrift store. I hate throwing away something someone else can use. And so many can't afford the luxury of a quilt magazine.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:08 AM

Mine go to the local quilt guild. they have a used magazine sell at their quilt show. What doesn't get sold (which is very few) go to recycling
Old 12-03-2014, 06:09 AM

To save space, my friend scans the patterns and instructions of the ones she likes on her computer. Then she takes the magazine to our local quilt store so anyone can pick them up. We also have a friend we give them to.

Susan
Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 AM

Just this morning I put over 100 magazines in the recycle bin to be picked up today. I went through them, very quickly, and kept about 30 that contained items of interest. I asked around quilt guilds, the library, etc to donate them. No one local wanted them except one place that asked me to either drive them there (80 miles!) or mail them ($$$$$). I had no interest in either. Some of these magazine were 10 years old. And as I looked at them, the ideas were all the same, the techniques were not anything special, and basically my tastes changed. So, my magazines will go to the shedder at our recycling plant, turned into pulp and be reused to make something someone else can have in their home and throw away 10 years from now!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:54 AM

I scan patterns I find interesting and save them to the hard drive or flash drive. Then the magazines can be donated.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:24 AM

I do the same as many others. I go thru and rip out any projects I'm interested in doing and then put on the free table at the Quilt Guild. I figure if it is free, others don't expect it to be a "whole" magazine. It sure helps in knowing which magazines to purchase.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:59 AM

I gave several years worth of magazines to the Veterans Home here. There are ladies that have retired there that love having them... also a few men.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:12 AM

When I have magazines I no longer want I find a new quilter to donate them to. They are usually thrilled to get "new" ideas and articles to read. I like looking through my old magazines to see what I might find.