Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Market Notions >
  • Quilt Market Notions

• Quilt Market Notions

Old 06-04-2017, 02:14 PM

Default Quilt Market Notions

For those of you who went to quilt market or know of someone who did, are there any new gadgets or notions out there for quilters? I understand that fabric lines make their debut for quilt stores to carry, but what else is new? TIA!
    Old 06-05-2017, 04:19 AM

I recently saw (at a local quilt show, not quilt market) something that was new to me. There were two long metal skewer-type rods in a plastic bag to use when appliqueing. I forget what they were called. They are to use to turn under the seam allowance with glue stick on the applique piece. I thought they were too expensive at around $24, if I remember correctly, because I do the same thing with two wooden cuticle sticks, which have the exact same end as one of the metal "sticks", are cheap for a whole bag.
    Old 06-05-2017, 04:24 AM

Only thing I bought this year was a marking pencil type thing made by the Pounce people. It's white, marks easily and irons off. It is soft though and would require frequent sharpening if you need a fine line. So far, I am liking it. $5 I think
    Old 06-05-2017, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy
    I recently saw (at a local quilt show, not quilt market) something that was new to me. There were two long metal skewer-type rods in a plastic bag to use when appliqueing. I forget what they were called. They are to use to turn under the seam allowance with glue stick on the applique piece. I thought they were too expensive at around $24, if I remember correctly, because I do the same thing with two wooden cuticle sticks, which have the exact same end as one of the metal "sticks", are cheap for a whole bag.
    That's called Appliquick. I saw it on The Quilt Show. It does seem mighty pricey for two metal sticks. Thanks for the top on using cuticle sticks. For the end with two points, I use an old fondue fork.
    Old 06-05-2017, 05:11 AM
    Power Poster

I watched the demo of Appliquick at Paducah in April. I was impressed with the method. I bought the fusible and glue sticks while everyone else was buying the tools and scissors. The fusible and glue sticks are the best I have used. If I do a lot of applique in the future I'll buy her tools but for the few projects I do now lobster picks work fine. Flat on one end and forked on the other.
    Old 06-05-2017, 05:42 AM

There are some new rulers by Alex Anderson that are totally grippy on the fabric.
    Old 06-05-2017, 11:58 AM

Is this the one? Thank you, this link has a video too!
    http://www.cindysthreadworks.com/sho...-x18307730.htm
    Old 06-05-2017, 02:38 PM

Regarding the Appliquick technique, I bought the wash out sticky fusible, too, and really like using it for applique. It makes turning under the seam allowances with glue stick fun. I bought the Fons and Porter wash out glue stick and like that, too, especially since it's a smaller diameter than school wash out glue sticks. Also, the wooden cuticle sticks grab the cotton fabric well, and I like putting the flat edge right along the edge of the fusible to show me exactly how far to turn under the seam allowance. Sometimes once you get going turning those edges under, you can't see the edge of the fusible inside the roll of fabric.

Last edited by JustAbitCrazy; 06-05-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    Old 06-05-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma
    There are some new rulers by Alex Anderson that are totally grippy on the fabric.
    Those rulers are my new favorites! Quilters Select is the name of them.
    Old 06-06-2017, 03:15 AM

I watched the video and would purchase if I could use a JoAnn's coupon.