Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Marking Tools question >

Quilt Marking Tools question

Quilt Marking Tools question

Old 01-02-2020, 04:13 PM

Default Quilt Marking Tools question

I know about Alphabitties but does anyone know if they are sold in brick and mortar stores? Do any of you use another method to keep track of pieces and where they will go?
Old 01-02-2020, 04:33 PM

My house is small and I don't have a design wall. I've amazed myself over the years on just how many ways I can put two blocks together incorrectly just by picking them up from next to the sewing machine and turning them under the needle. With block markers I still have the rare issue of doing things wrong but it happens very infrequently now.

I just fold a piece of typing paper into roughly 1" squares, sometimes they are bigger or smaller depending on how many I need and what folds nicely. I safety pin with super tiny cheap pins from the dollar store which have to get replaced fairly often. I pin the markers into the top left quadrant of the blocks because that is what I'm used to, consistency is the big thing. I don't bother trying to keep them from project to project. Oh I thought that had potential but really, who wants to keep track of 90 tiny pieces of crumpled up paper?

I always Letter Across (A, B, C, D) and Number Down (1, 2, 3, 4). If I have a K9 block, I must use dog fabric!

It gets a little more complex with on-point layouts, I number the diagonal rows. I also keep an overall plan/diagram even if not much more than a grid drawn out that shows the layout. I've attached a recent layout to keep me on track and the project with the markers. Turns out that although I did put them together exactly as I had planned, I decided I hated it and had to take it apart again!

Edit: Couldn't find this picture, but I did find the thread I posted it in. The redone top and border treatment is over here,
Needing Help Finding A Quilt Pattern
Attached Thumbnails cherry-goose-worksheet.jpg   100_5407.jpg  
Old 01-02-2020, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Painters tape works pretty good for labeling blocks, etc.
The adhesive does not leave a residue and sticks pretty tight for as long as you want.

Also, I use the painters tape for my stash fabrics ... after pre-washing, I measure each piece, then label with the painters tape. That way I easily know the length without needing to unfold when stash shopping!

Old 01-02-2020, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

I use Post-It Flags, they are different colors- like post it’s and about 1/2” x 1 1/2” perfect for me to write on and the adhesive doesn’t leave any residue on my fabric
Old 01-02-2020, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

I use Post-It Flags, they are different colors- like post it’s and about 1/2” x 1 1/2” perfect for me to write on and the adhesive doesn’t leave any residue on my fabric
Old 01-03-2020, 03:17 AM

Normally I just use post-notes and mark them as Iceblossom does. Use a pin to hold them in place. I use quilt patterns so always have a copy of the pattern laying on the table as well for reference.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:08 PM

First let me say - it's not a quilt I made if there isn't a part that hasn't had to be taken apart and re-ewed.

But if I am just keeping track of rows then I stack them pieces knowing the will be sewn from left to right, and pin each row with the number of the row.

If it's a block that I am making then I make a sample, take a picture of it with my phone and I put the pieces in a box in the shape of the block.

I made a project wall but very rarely use it.

I have made a couple of Trip Around the World quilts and just cut out the whole thing after drawing what I wanted on graft paper. Same with my Irish Chain - in fact, I do that with all my quilts.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:08 AM

Iceblossom, this might help you to not have to redo your papers for each project. :-)
I did this recently and thought to myself "haven't I done this before instead of labels or sticky paper?" I grabbed a few scraps strip of fabric I trimmed off the end of blocks (they were approximately 1" x 4" or so) and used a Sharpie to write "column 1", "column 2", etc on them and simply pinned that to the first block of each row that I had stacked up after laying out the quilt. Not stiff like paper, and can be re-used forever. Of course you could do the same for each column, row, piece or strip or whatever. Make them once from scraps and you have them forever! I saved mine and will be adding to them as I make new quilts and need new "labels".

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-28-2020 at 08:50 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-06-2020, 08:21 AM

That's a good idea Lisa, I have a friend who does something similar and what I do when layout is more of an idea than an exact precision move, and that's to load everything onto a thread. You simply take a largish needle and a double length of thread, tie a knot and then put a little folded square of fabric (or paper) on the end and stack your laid out pieces on the thread. She did indeed have little 1, 2, 3, etc. tabs. Now she made her's while playing with a new embroidery machine and I am typically just using scraps.

It keeps them in order and prevents them from getting shifted around or flying across the room when you stumble over the dog or something. Among my vision issues is a lack of depth perception and unfortunately I drop things a lot, so I like the security of pins or some sort of way to secure the fabrics as well as the position.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:54 PM

I cant imagine trying to tag each piece of fabric in my stash. I have over 3000 yards of fabric! I have a mental picture that tell me what I have and what I need to pull to work on the next project. When I pull maybe 5 different pieces for a quilt I mark them in the sequence they will be used but that is about it. I do take my stash out every year and air the fabrics out and refold them. It does help to keep them fresh and healthy.