Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt for my son >

quilt for my son

quilt for my son

Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 AM

Default quilt for my son

I want to make a quilt using a scenery that is cut into strips. Does anyone have the directions so I don't mess it up?? I am still learning.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 AM

The main thing is that you mark your segments carefully, so you can reassemble the "picture" after it is cut apart. It is surprising how hard it is to get the pieces in the right order if you have not labeled them. I label each row and each piece in each row; i.e. row 1-1. 1-2, 1-3, etc. You other decision is what kind of sashing do you want--attic windows? or lattice work, etc. Attic windows looks good with these quilts. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 AM

You could cut the pieces with the scenes in the width that is desirable. Then add a row of flying geese, 9-patches, or any other design you like. You could alternate these 2 elements to the desired length.You could add sashing if desired. I am not sure what width you were thinking, but if the WOF is too narrow, you might need to continue the scene's strip by matching another strip to make it wider.When you are satisfied with the size, you can add your borders. I often add a narrow border band of about an inch to frame out the top and then add a wider border or 2. I don't know if this helps. I am fairly new to quilting and maybe this sounds to much to do without a pattern, but I think it is doable... Just not sure how to determine how much fabric you would need. If you have a scrap bin, you may be able to make use of it in the rows between your scenes... Good Luck.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by moreland View Post
The main thing is that you mark your segments carefully, so you can reassemble the "picture" after it is cut apart. It is surprising how hard it is to get the pieces in the right order if you have not labeled them. I label each row and each piece in each row; i.e. row 1-1. 1-2, 1-3, etc. You other decision is what kind of sashing do you want--attic windows? or lattice work, etc. Attic windows looks good with these quilts. Good luck.
Ohhh I think I was not understanding your question. Rachel probably is on target.... Sorry